Current motherboard choices

More
18 Aug 2010 00:16 #3796 by Zig
I am hoping there is someone out there who has a current production mother board with good latency performance.

Any recomendations of CURRENTLY PRODUCED motherboards?

I use an old ( ten year old athlon based motherboard and a Jetway C7 based mother board again not the latest product.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2010 09:09 #3798 by robh
Replied by robh on topic Re:Current motherboard choices
Hi

it does not realy matter to run the very latest hardware with EMC2, as you are only intrested in its latency performance, i have tryed 3GHz CPUs, and 2GHz CPUs all have very much the same latency on the same motherboard, its more down to how your motherboard can handel latency..

Wiki has a list of hardware known to work and tested by many people. so i would check this out. some intel boards can be problems with there SMI issues..
AMD boards seem to work quite well i think.

rob

More
18 Aug 2010 09:36 #3800 by Zig
Replied by Zig on topic Re:Current motherboard choices
Hello Rob,

Thanks for Your comments.

I am runing an AMD motherboard and a VIA C7 motherboard.

I was fortunate to have had the MSI AMD based motherboard when I started out.

I looked at the wiki page and selected the JETWAY motherboard whch in fact has a better latency performance than the MSI.

I had however hoped to be able to acquire a more modern mothernboard with the view to having good latency performance and quicker less jerky video performance especially hen large jobs are processed ( i do pcb milling)

More
18 Aug 2010 11:30 #3803 by BigJohnT
I used a Zotac GeForce 6100-Value motherboard on my Hardinge on 8.04.4 with good latency and have the same motherboard on this computer with 10.04. Both run <6500ns ... afaik.

John

More
18 Aug 2010 12:44 #3807 by andypugh
The Atom boards are cheap, compact, very low power and good latency.
My Intel D510MO has latency of 6500nS and runs fanless and silently with a SSD drive.
Drawbacks are: Only one PCI slot and that the Parallel port is on a header rather than a socket (but that is actually easier if you are connecting a mesa card as it is IDC to IDC)
For the price (60 UKP) + memory + drive + PicoPSU it is a good combo.

More
18 Aug 2010 22:02 #3811 by Zig
Replied by Zig on topic Re:Current motherboard choices
Hello Andy,

TheJetway motherboard is one of those micro format board.

While it does run a small fan it too is very quiet and does come with a powersupply which takes nominally 24v.

I need to find a circuit schematic of an LCD monitor and see if it too will run froma 24 V supply so that the entire machine runs from two car batteries ; pc and monitor as well as servo controls.

This way i hope to have a fully independent machine a machine which will not suffer mains voltage interruptions. ( a bit of a problem where i am in summer time).

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds