Anybody have experience with AMD G-series processors?

More
29 Jun 2020 15:34 #173110 by oddwick
Just a quick question, anybody around here have any experience using any amd g-series processors?

i have been looking for something with a small form factor to use as a dedicated controller and have a chance to get a killer deal on some dell wyse thin clients (like $10 each with power supplies shipping included!), but they are dx0d models and use amd t-48e processors.

they're supposed to run win 7 embedded or suse linux, so they should handle debian, but am i looking at any gotchyas with it being and embedded processor or soc?

anybody know if its going to more trouble than its worth to try and use these?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2020 17:59 #173114 by tommylight
I still have 2 (well 1 since the other died a while back due to excessive moisture) of older HP thin clients, they use AMD Geode processors at 1GHz with 512 MB RAM and 512MB of HDD, have installed Debian Dog version of puppy linux with LinuxCNC and it does work and i still use it occasionally for testing as it has a parallel port. With the 3.4.9 RTAI kernel it has very low latency, but everything else is also very low.
This was just to have an idea that they might be quite good for this type of use, although that is never a sure thing.

More
29 Jun 2020 19:10 #173126 by oddwick
thanks tom, thats what i needed to hear! there are two versions i am looking at and they both work out to about $10 a unit more or less, but since i have to buy them in lots, i wanted to make sure before i pulled the trigger.

neither have parallel ports, but i forgot to mention that they will be driving 7i96s, so that takes some of the load off and they will be dedicated controllers, boot right into linuxcnc. no cad, no cam, nothing other than axis, samba, touch screen, pendant, and occasionally a keyboard and mouse. not a fan of bloat...

these are the specs of the two i am looking at:
www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=17650

www.newegg.com/dell-wyse-n03d-3030-thin-client/p/2X4-000A-00AD5

personally i am looking more towards the celeron model, but that one is not a given if i can get it at that price.

More
29 Jun 2020 19:33 #173130 by tommylight
The first one looks really nice, but to weak, the second one seems usable.
Can you deal with bitcoin or ethereum ? I would gladly pay for 2 or 3 of them, and would not care if they do not work, so the postage will be more than the PC's ! :) Still, if you do not mind the hassle, let me know how much would it cost me in total with postage, and i will add another 40 or 50% above for the hassle. I have no other means of payment.

More
02 Jul 2020 14:56 #173426 by oddwick
sorry for the delay, it has been a bit hectic around here with the end of the world and all that lovely stuff. so i managed to get my hands (in theory) on 6 of the N03D celeron units. of course until they ship and they are sitting in my sweaty (literally, its supposed to be over 100 today) little hands nothing is definite.

I would gladly pay for 2 or 3 of them, and would not care if they do not work, so the postage will be more than the PC's ! :) Still, if you do not mind the hassle, let me know how much would it cost me in total with postage, and i will add another 40 or 50% above for the hassle. I have no other means of payment.

i am going to need three of them and one for a backup, so that leaves 2 extras. because they were the celeron version it came out a little more than i had originally planned, but still ended up being about $15 a unit. considering that the egg is selling them for 140 each, not bad. so tom if you are wanting the other other 2, just pm me with the details and i can set it up. the only problem is that i dont use any crypto, but if you can do paypal, we're set!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
02 Jul 2020 16:01 #173430 by tommylight
I will have to check with my bro for paypal, as mine went down due to my f.... bank cutting my cards 3 times in 4 months, so i am not bothering with them ever again. Last 5 years banks here have become useless robbing people of quite some money with some non existing fees and stuff as there is no bank monitoring here. A month before the "end of the world" i was charged 47 Euro for nothing as i did not use the card for anything during that month, even the bank manager could not figure out why all those charges were incurred on my account, that is when i decided to cut that sh.....
Hence i use crypto, a bit of a hassle still, but no such issues.
Thank you very much, i will try to figure out a way and let you know.
In the mean time, please do check how much will the postage be to Kosovo or Albania.

More
02 Jul 2020 19:23 #173445 by oddwick
holy crap! how do you ever get anything shipped?!? the postage is looking like 80USD for a 5lb package to albaina (i just used a random address in Tirana to estimate) and they dont even ship to kosovo. how crappy is that?

banks are not much better here and i hate them. my business just went cash only after i got shut down for being "nonessential". 2 months without income sucked balls hardcore and i almost didnt make it back open. my bank charges random "administration fees" and "consulting fees" that are completely out of the blue and always coincidently hit when your balance gets low and then it overdrafts you. a-holes bounced the rent check for my business once because of that and made me look like a fool... geography matters not a jot for them. bankers, lawyers, and politicians make the world a better place :angry:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
02 Jul 2020 21:27 #173456 by tommylight

holy crap! how do you ever get anything shipped?!? the postage is looking like 80USD for a 5lb package to albaina (i just used a random address in Tirana to estimate) and they dont even ship to kosovo. how crappy is that?

Very, and we are in Europe, like Greece and Bulgaria are way east of us, but i never blamed Europe for that, i blame our dumb politicians with an IQ of 30 who did nothing for this country but rob it of everything. Subsequently i blame my people for choosing said politicians.

A smart man once said:
Give the man a gun, he will rob a bank.
Give the man a bank, he will rob the world!

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds