No Input on parallel port PCI card

More
31 Jul 2020 09:46 #176626 by Steffen 2.0
Let me introduce me first. My name is Steffen, I am a nearly 30 year old mechanical engineer, working in the research industries in Germany. I recently bought the most crappiest CNC router one could imagine (I think there are more than 3 broken tread tabs in the machine remaining), but it was cheap and I will get it mechanically get to work.

I also purchased an old PC (core 2 Quad Q6600), on that I was able to install wheezy and linux cnc, jitter is with some tweaking (thank you Linux CNC forum!) about 18 000ns.

The mainboard has no parallel port, so I bought a PCI card (2 different ones by now). Both seem to work, except they do not show any response to inputs. I can control the machine, in stepconf and in the machine control, but I can not get any response on the inputs.
I tried various things, including a different PCI card, but nothing seems to help.

My test procedure is to short wire pin 1 and 10 on the paralleport. I expect the pin 10 input to change, corresponding to the output number one (I control it with the paralleport tester).

The card seems to be recognized as parport 0.

Any ideas on why my pc does not recognize inputs but all outputs work fine? Or even better, has someone a solution to that :side:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2020 10:02 - 31 Jul 2020 10:04 #176629 by Clive S
Are you using a brake-out board. Also post your config files ie HAL and INI file will help

I you are using the Chinese bob with a relay on it . It requires 12-24v as well as 5V
Last edit: 31 Jul 2020 10:04 by Clive S.

More
31 Jul 2020 10:34 #176637 by tommylight

My test procedure is to short wire pin 1 and 10 on the paralleport. I expect the pin 10 input to change, corresponding to the output number one (I control it with the paralleport tester).

That procedure might and might not work, depending on the parallel port electronics.
Wire the input pin to the ground or the shield of the parallel port, while checking the LED on the tester. That should work.
Also, you can do the same test you did but with the pin 2 as output.
Parallel port has 8 data pins that can do enough current to drive plenty of stuff, but the 5 control pins can not provide the same amount of current and might not be push-pull configuration as the data pins. Also some ports have no pull up resistors on the inputs, but yours seems to have them.

More
31 Jul 2020 16:57 #176681 by Steffen 2.0
thanks for the quick replay. Attached you find the ini and hal file.

I am currently using/measuring only directly the port. I have also the ability to measure voltages if this could be helpful?
For the stepper drivers, I am using a cheap chinese TB6560 Stepper board.

Currently I have a pci-e Card to parallel installed (only this card, no other parallel card), no luck as well.
Attachments:

More
31 Jul 2020 17:34 #176683 by tommylight
Start from the beginning:
Are you using the LinuxCNC port tester?
Did you edit the hal file to change the port address ?
What does
sudo lspci -v
in a terminal say?
If you have done all the above, connect pin 2 to pin 10 and test, then connect pin 10 to ground or port shield and check the LED.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steffen 2.0

More
31 Jul 2020 18:15 #176689 by Steffen 2.0
yeah, so starting from the beginning was the trick, I did not change the port in the ptest.hal file. Sorry I was not aware that I had to do this, I thought it would use parport0. I can check tomorrow if the detection of the inputs work now, I will give you final feedback.

Thank you very much for the quick reply!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
31 Jul 2020 19:11 #176692 by tommylight
You are welcomed, always.
MFG
Tom.

More
02 Aug 2020 02:19 #176845 by Todd Zuercher

yeah, so starting from the beginning was the trick, I did not change the port in the ptest.hal file. Sorry I was not aware that I had to do this, I thought it would use parport0. I can check tomorrow if the detection of the inputs work now, I will give you final feedback.

Thank you very much for the quick reply!

That is something that should maybe be changed. I think the little parallel port testing configuration was made before the option of simply using 0 as the port address was an option in Linuxcnc.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds