BeagleBone with LinuxCNC to replace old PC?

More
15 Aug 2020 06:22 #178236 by berntd
Hi,
I just read that LinuxCNC runs on BeagleBoneBlack.
I see it is named Machinekit but is it the same as this here LinuxCNC ?

If same, is it not covered by linuxcnc.org?

Can such a BeagleBone computer be used to interface with an existing Gecko CNC driver that has a parallel/printer port input?

Regards
berntd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2020 07:57 #178244 by tommylight

I just read that LinuxCNC runs on BeagleBoneBlack.
I see it is named Machinekit but is it the same as this here LinuxCNC ?
If same, is it not covered by linuxcnc.org?

They are essentially the same thing with some differences, and it is not covered by LinuxCNC as they do have their website and forum, but there is plenty of info about BBB and Machinekit here also.

Can such a BeagleBone computer be used to interface with an existing Gecko CNC driver that has a parallel/printer port input?

It should work, but i do not know how as i never used a BBB.

More
15 Aug 2020 09:25 #178253 by BeagleBrainz
Machine kit works, you'll have to ask on the MK google group regarding which image to use.
You will also have to hunt around for a 3.3v to 5v converter board to sit between the BBB & the Gecko interface.
Personally unless you want a controller with a small foot print I'd go with a x86 PC.
The BBB was fun.
Linuxcnc has better support IHMO.
In actual fact what you spend faffing around with a BBB, time & money, you'll have a better experience with a suitable MESA card and x86 Platform connected to your gecko setup.
Plus if the BBB goes belly up you will either have to find another BBB or jump to another platform.

More
15 Aug 2020 09:42 #178254 by berntd
True true. But the parallel port's days have been numbered for some time.
I have had heaps of issues recently with the CNC PC. Power supply, memory, keyboard PS2 port, harddrive.
It will have to go eventually and replacement will be hard.

More
15 Aug 2020 09:54 #178255 by BeagleBrainz
I'd look at something such as below, it has a Ethernet connection, I don't think Ethernet will go the way of the Parallel Port. (Although don't quote me on that, Bill Gates did once say 640K was enough memory for a PC)
store.mesanet.com/index.php?route=produc...oduct&product_id=311

And grab a x86 PC, Tommy has the low down on what's good surplus wise.

Another thing to be aware of I think the Wheezy image of MK was off the last images to include X. The MK guys seem to be splitting the GUI from the motion control. Development appears to be a little slow with MK.

More
15 Aug 2020 11:54 #178263 by tommylight

But the parallel port's days have been numbered for some time.

That has been said for the last 20 years, it is still here and still works properly.

More
15 Aug 2020 13:24 #178274 by berntd

That has been said for the last 20 years, it is still here and still works properly.

Well, No new PC has one. Worse, new PCs are mostly laptops these days. They do not have any ports except USB.

I am not sure what I will do next.

More
15 Aug 2020 14:53 #178291 by Todd Zuercher
Few new pcs have them. But I think it is still possible to find one with a parallel port. True, no laptops do, but you don't really want one of those for a cnc anyway.

More
15 Aug 2020 14:56 #178292 by tommylight
Ethernet is very nice, check the Mesa 7i92 and while you're at it, also check the Mesa 5i25 for PCI or 6i25 for PCI-E.
They are very cheap and very flexible and extremely fast, and they have the best support.

More
15 Aug 2020 23:40 #178335 by BeagleBrainz

Well, No new PC has one. Worse, new PCs are mostly laptops these days. They do not have any ports except USB.

I am not sure what I will do next.

I'm a little confused about your statement "new PCs are mostly laptops these days", could you expand on that a bit more.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds