Selecting a Motherboard/processor for Ethernet Mesa cards

More
17 Feb 2021 18:55 #199169 by Xnke
In all the time in all the machine shops I've worked in, I've yet to see a CPU fan failure occur without LOTS of warning. I have seen cabinet fan filters clogged, cabinet fans fail, heat exchangers fail, but never a CPU fan. This is in machines that were built in the early 90's that are still running today.

That said, if it was sitting in a case next to the machine instead of inside the machine's own control cabinet, I could see it being a problem. In this situation, my mini ITX case is only for the initial goofing off. The end result is a machine controller built into an actual controller cabinet.

The cabinet I've got is a Hoffman 16x32, with a front panel section for mounting a 16" LCD and mini-ITX motherboard, plus the entire remainder of the front panel, all sectioned off from the back half of the cabinet, which is another 2.5" deep behind that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2021 19:15 #199171 by Todd Zuercher
I have seen a CPU fan failure on a control on a machine built in 2001, and it went without warning, without any indication of a problem until the control's cpu was heat damaged enough to stop it from working correctly.and ended up costing us $5000 to replace the whole control. This was also not mounted in a dirty open environment, but in an air-conditioned control cabnet. Better controls (like Fanuc) use better fans with tach signals and monitor them, setting alarms if they are not working right. Unfortunately this one didn't.

More
17 Feb 2021 22:55 #199196 by Xnke
I could see that kind of repair on a (probably) proprietary system, but when it's just a 10$ CPU or 50$ motherboard that could be damaged from heat it's easy enough to just clean the filter every week.

All the same, I can see the argument for less moving parts. If I can get the Celery to not make me hate using it, I'll use it. The 3220 will be nicer as a fileserver anyway.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds