Fixing the default realtime module

More
09 Dec 2021 08:23 #228691 by Killer
In my attempt to sort out my smi issue I've realised I've broken the default GNU GRUB entry (1st and 2nd line) " Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.19.195-rtai-amd64 and also the associated "recovery mode" all of the other 3 versions below that in the image are fine, so is it easier just to remove that bad entry or try and fix it?

Feel as though I'm getting somewhere though, steep learning curve though for this linux virgin :) any advice welcome.

Cheers

Rich
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Dec 2021 08:43 #228692 by Killer
Following this article seems to have fixed this issue, so now back to trying to fix my smi problem :)

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.8/html/getting-start...#cha:Installing-RTAI

Cheers all

More
09 Dec 2021 11:25 #228696 by tommylight
First and second kernels (same kernel two entries, one is safe mode) is the RTAI version, the rest are RT-PREEMPT versions.
On older PC's the first is better regarding latency, on new ones both should work.
RTAI kernel = parallel port, Mesa PCI and PCI-E
RT-PREEMPT kernel = Mesa PCI and PCI-E and ETH.

More
09 Dec 2021 15:55 #228705 by Todd Zuercher

First and second kernels (same kernel two entries, one is safe mode) is the RTAI version, the rest are RT-PREEMPT versions.
On older PC's the first is better regarding latency, on new ones both should work.
RTAI kernel = parallel port, Mesa PCI and PCI-E
RT-PREEMPT kernel = Mesa PCI and PCI-E and ETH.

Rt-Premempt can be used with a parallel port to.  (It just usually isn't because most older PCs that have a parallel port get crappy latency with it.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
09 Dec 2021 16:17 #228710 by tommylight

Rt-Premempt can be used with a parallel port to.  (It just usually isn't because most older PCs that have a parallel port get crappy latency with it.)

Yes it can, but avoiding it for new users so they do not bump head first on "LinuxCNC wall". :)

More
13 Dec 2021 01:21 #228977 by rodw
You can install Grub-Customizer and select which entry becomes the default entry.
Grub-customizer is available in debian 10 and 11 but plenty of articles how to install it if its not in your distro.

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds