Remora - ethernet

More
02 Jul 2022 21:55 #246473 by scotta
Replied by scotta on topic Remora - ethernet
That is the intended behaviour and is telling you that the communication to the board is not working.

Did you change the line in the configuration.h file and recompile?

Line 640 in main.cpp also would need to be corrected from else if ((recBytes == 64) && (rxBuffer.header == PRU_WRITE))

to

else if ((recBytes == SPI_BUF_SIZE) && (rxBuffer.header == PRU_WRITE))

There could be other issues as well and I note that the code on github is by far not the latest as it is using a polling method for the W5500.
The following user(s) said Thank You: satsuma

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2022 13:24 #246504 by satsuma
Replied by satsuma on topic Remora - ethernet
Thank you for your answer. Recompile does not work, mbed studio say lots of errors there. I used the available bin file. The logic analyzer does not see SPI communication. I have too little knowledge to solve it, so I give up and look for another alternative.

More
03 Jul 2022 18:56 #246527 by cakeslob
Replied by cakeslob on topic Remora - ethernet
hey satsuna, are you using the octopus firmware in the ehternet repo? I never tried the ethernet ones yet. Ill give it a try tonight and see whats going on. what pins are connected to your w5500 => octopus ?

More
04 Jul 2022 22:40 #246603 by satsuma
Replied by satsuma on topic Remora - ethernet
Hi cakeslob, I just followed the instructions:
remora-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/hardware/octopus.html

I think the wire is too long for SPI. There are several rules that must be followed for high speed, because SPI not will work well. If this works, a new board is required to function properly. Maybe a LAN8720 or similar would be better. and would use a very fast SPI line for the motor controls and each motor have an MCU that manage the motor and the encoder. SimpleFoc might be a good option and would avoid the step/dir/en logic.

More
14 Apr 2023 17:19 #269012 by blazini36
Replied by blazini36 on topic Remora - ethernet
Is Remora working on a BTT Octopus over ethernet? I don't have SPI available on the host, trying to find out what the max uart speed on the host PC is but from what I gather Remora only runs debug over uart. I've got extra ethernet ports so I can go that way assuming the Octopus does actual ethernet over the RJ45 and not just CAN

More
14 Apr 2023 18:03 #269017 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Remora - ethernet
Hmmm i think Octopus does not have RJ45, it has RJ11.
I got disapointed by it, sorry to have to forward that to you.
:)
A bit fuzzy on this, it has been on 24/7 for over 4 months behind a 3D printer.

More
14 Apr 2023 18:16 #269018 by blazini36
Lol maybe you're right, I didn't even look at it that good. I was planning on using Marlin over uart with a project but Marlin sucks.

So the only thing Remora can actually do with an Octopus is SPI then?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
15 Apr 2023 05:22 - 15 Apr 2023 05:23 #269057 by blazini36
I should have paid a little more attention to the comments at the beginning of this thread. I didn't realize what the "w5500" was. Has anyone gotten Remora working over ethernet with the w5500 on an Octopus?
Last edit: 15 Apr 2023 05:23 by blazini36.

More
16 Apr 2023 16:26 #269219 by cakeslob
Replied by cakeslob on topic Remora - ethernet
I dont think theres a problem with it working, Scott just tells me its not ready for the big time yet, he needs to work on some DMA stuff to make it better.

More
16 Apr 2023 18:24 #269225 by blazini36
I should have that w5500 board today. I have Marlin sort of running on the Octopus I put in the PnP machine I just built but I'm not a fan of Marlin so I want to try running LinuxCNC through linuxcncrsh. That's a whole nother battle but if I can get Remora running on it with just a basic Axis config I'll probably stick with it and figure the rest out later.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds