Remora - ethernet NVEM / EC300 / EC500 cnc board

More
25 Sep 2023 12:37 - 25 Sep 2023 12:44 #281594 by oficinerobotica
I'm still having a hard time flashing my EC 500 using the Pi Pico method.

I'vd flashed the pico with the free DAP binary from here github.com/ataradov/free-dap
When I do a lsusb I get this for the Pi:
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 6666:9930 Prototype product Vendor ID Combined VCP and CMSIS-DAP Adapter

This is the pinout provided by the free-dap binary
11  SWCLK/TCK
12  SWDIO/TMS
13  TDI
14  TDO
15  nRESET
0    VCP TX
1   VCP RX
2     VCP Status
25   (LED)DAP Status

This is how I connected the EC500 to the pico . The EC500 is powered and the BOOT and 3V pins on the board are bridged. I have a feeling that I'm missing something because in the @scotta videos the stlink is connected by 4 wires and I have only 3.

When I do pyocd flash ./remora-rt1052-1.1.0.bin --target mimxrt1050_quadspi -v
I get this error in the terminal:
0000741 C Unexpected ACK value (0) returned by probe [__main__]

Any ideas?
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Sep 2023 12:44 by oficinerobotica.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2023 20:34 #281615 by aaamil13
Did you powered the board. You need to connect "System GND and 24V" to a power supply.

More
26 Sep 2023 01:13 #281623 by GeramyL
Hmmm I’m not sure why your using resistors, my usb Amazon daplink works great and I don’t have to use resistors, have you tried without resistors? Your controller requires 24v at the power pins. I’ve seen instability using anything else such as 12v. Sometimes the firmware can get locked up or possibly you could have locked it up. So shorting boot to 3v3 I think pauses the boot loader before it loads the firmware that way you don’t get locked out by a bad firmware. Once you do a flash like that you have to remove the short turn the board off and back on and then flash it again. This has been my procedure, I’m not sure exactly why that’s so but that’s how I get myself out of a jam usually.
The following user(s) said Thank You: oficinerobotica

More
26 Sep 2023 04:17 #281629 by oficinerobotica
Yes, the EC500 is powered by 24V while trying to flash it, I'll give it some more tries then I think I'll try the ST-Link method. Do you think the original firmware needs to be erased before flashing the new one? I'll try the @GeramyL suggestions too. Thank you both

More
27 Sep 2023 01:11 #281685 by GeramyL
You shouldn’t need to erase it first, I would doubt it especially shorting the pins which should change the boot mode so it doesn’t boot the firmware that’s on the chip. Have you tried to do pyocd and list devices or open up the command interface to see if you get any sort of information out of the pi

More
27 Sep 2023 03:43 #281688 by cakeslob
I am working on adding Remora ethernet related things to the docs, but I dont know very much about the NVEM boards. If anyone would like to contribute to the docs by making some hardware related pages for the 3(?) NVEM boards it would be appreciated. Pictures, chip type, things about pins and serial, and how to upload firmware things of that nature, it would be very helpful.

Following a similar scheme to the current hardware pages, ideally

github.com/cakeslob/Remora-docs/blob/eth...hardware/octopus.rst
The following user(s) said Thank You: scotta, oficinerobotica

More
27 Sep 2023 10:12 #281709 by aaamil13
I think you have to remove BOOT->3.3V jumper. Just tasted with jumper and i'm not able to flash.

More
27 Sep 2023 22:06 #281745 by scotta
Yes, I've only ever had to use the boot button or jumper when I've locked up the firmware with bad code or not being able to connect the debug probe.

More
28 Sep 2023 05:03 #281768 by scotta
DMA Stepgen - beta testing

For those interested, DMA Stepgen is ready for beta testing. On the bench it's working nicely with bugs being found and fixed along the way. Appreciate some feedback on issues.

github.com/scottalford75/Remora-RT1052-c...e/feature/DMAstepgen
github.com/scottalford75/Remora-RT1052-c...t1052-2.0.0-beta.bin

The DMA stepgen is configured like below:
    {
    "Thread": "DMA",
    "Type": "DMAstepgen",
        "Comment":            "X - Joint 0 step generator",
        "Joint Number":        0,
        "Step Pin":         "P1_22",
        "Direction Pin":     "P1_17",
        "Step Length":        2,
        "Step Space":        3
    },

As you will see, there is now the ability to configure the step length and space settings. These are in multiples of 1 micro second (1000ns).

With a 1 micro second step length and space you will achieve 500 khz step rate! 

Of course, adjust your max velocity in your HAL setup to respect the max step rate achievable with your step setting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Murphy, cnc-phil

More
28 Sep 2023 17:07 - 29 Sep 2023 16:56 #281804 by cnc-phil
Last edit: 29 Sep 2023 16:56 by cnc-phil.

Time to create page: 0.239 seconds