Remote Desktop Firewall Problem with XRDP

More
30 Oct 2022 18:20 - 30 Oct 2022 18:21 #255473 by reynolds087
Hi,
I am trying to establish a remote desktop connection between my Windows PC on the LAN and LinuxCNC. I installed XRDP on the LinuxCNC computer, added the XRDP user to ssl-cert, and then restarted the service and verified that it is loaded and active. I am still unable to establish a remote connection from my Windows PC, but I can ping the LinuxCNC computer so I don't believe there is any networking issue.

One step that was mentioned in the tutorials for remote desktop between Linux and Windows was to ensure that port 3389 was opened in the firewall. I can't find any mention of a firewall that is enabled by default in LinuxCNC, and I've tried using UFW and iptables commands, but neither is recognized in the terminal, so I assume they are not installed.

Can anyone tell me if there is a firewall installed by default in LinuxCNC, and if I need to open the port to allow Windows remote desktop to connect? That is the only thing I can see preventing the connection, because I can remote desktop to other Windows computers on my network with no problems.
Last edit: 30 Oct 2022 18:21 by reynolds087.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2022 20:02 #255482 by tommylight
Never used RDP on Linux, but i did use VNC and it's derivatives like TightVNC.
Maybe give that a try.

More
30 Oct 2022 23:39 #255517 by reynolds087
When I try to reach the LinuxCNC computer using TightVNC in Windows, it says that the target computer actively refused the connection. Any idea why it's not accepting the connection?

More
31 Oct 2022 00:24 #255529 by tommylight
Did you set a password on the Linux machine for VNC?

More
31 Oct 2022 01:02 #255531 by reynolds087
I was able to get the connection to work intermittently, but it never lasts very long. I keep losing the connection. I have also successfully connected using XRDP now, but again, after a very short duration, I get disconnected from the session. It is acting like some security setting in Linux is kicking me out.

More
31 Oct 2022 01:34 #255533 by tommylight
Bad network cable, or network cable parallel to some power cable.
Check if the connectors are properly seated, first.

More
31 Oct 2022 03:24 #255538 by reynolds087
Thanks, I think you were on the right track. I was using the built-in Intel wireless card, and it required non-free drivers, which I do not think are very well-supported in Debian. Using either the physical Ethernet port, or a USB-Ethernet adapter, I get a very reliable connection in any of the remote control platforms that I've tried. So the unstable WiFi must have been causing all of these problems. I am just going to stick with the USB-Ethernet adapter, since I want the mesa card to have the dedicated Ethernet on the motherboard for low latency. Thanks for your help. I would say this is solved now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds