Digitus DS-30040-2 PCIe parallel card

More
06 Dec 2022 16:08 #258715 by cnc_rocket
Hi there

I am currently looking to buy a PCIe parallel card with EPP, but I need some help.
My CNC uses a LPT cable, and I am currently using an old computer with linuxcnc.
But I want to change my setup to a newer computer.
This new computer motherboard has only PCIe slots (the motherboard doesn't have old PCI slots).
So I started looking for PCIe cards. 

I was wondering if the Digitus DS-30040-2 would work well with linuxcnc 2.8.
This card uses a MCS9901CV-CC chip.
I found in the linuxcnc wiki that cards that use these chips would work well.
But I also found some forums that say PCIe cards with these chips don’t work well.
www.forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxc...moschip-ms9901-cv-cc
Does anybody have experience with these cards?
Or do you recommend other cards? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2022 11:20 #258799 by ississ
I used Sunix PAR4018A (PCI) card with 2 ports with SUN1888 controller.
This one worked also with a PCIE-PCI bridge on a motherboard with only PCIE slots.

Choose a card with a chip that does not need any own driver in any os and it should work.

Another possibility is to switch to mesa 7i92.

More
08 Dec 2022 23:24 #258932 by andypugh
Rather than an actual PCIe parallel port, you could consider a Mesa 6i25. It connects just like a parallel port to the existing controller, but has the advantage that it will definitely be compatible and it will produce far more accurate (and faster) step pulse timing.

It seems that store.mesanet.com and mesaus.com are both out of stock, but eusurplus.com (Portugal) is showing stock.

More
19 Feb 2023 19:04 #264822 by cnc_rocket
A quick update:
I bought the card and every thing works fine.
I only had to enable the PCIe address in my terminal, which I did by following this tutorial.

More
22 Feb 2023 17:45 #265046 by DrKnow65
@cnc_rocket,
I have been troubleshooting a pair of MOSchip 9901 parallel port/rs232 cards that I have been unable to get into EPP mode. It sounds like after enabling your cards you were able to establish EPP? Would you mind doing a " sudo lspci -vv " ( your parallel port card should be one of the last entries in the list) and tell me what mode your card is in after you have booted but before you have run LinuxCNC? For example SPP, ECP, EPP, or IEEE1284.

Thank you,
Jeff

Time to create page: 0.269 seconds