PlanetPC XR series

More
08 Mar 2023 14:48 #266117 by andypugh
PlanetPC XR series was created by andypugh
I wonder if this has any applicability as a CNC controller? 
The main thing that I am wondering about is the built-in touch-screen. A much more up-to-date version of the 8x20 displays supported by emclcd and the 3D printers. 

I can imagine one living under the bed of a CNC router, for example. 

store.planetcom.co.uk/collections/deskto...oducts/planet-pc-xr1
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2023 00:30 #266163 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic PlanetPC XR series
I wonder if Armbian would run on it? Perhaps a Generic version of Debian SID with XFCE ?
That will give you access to the packaged versions of linuxcnc which I can confirm work fine on Armbian and ARM hardware
www.armbian.com/uefi-arm64/

You would need to add PREEMPT_RT via Armbian the build system

More
09 Mar 2023 02:02 #266172 by cakeslob
Replied by cakeslob on topic PlanetPC XR series
man, that price....

The main thing that I am wondering about is the built-in touch-screen. A much more up-to-date version of the 8x20 displays supported by emclcd and the 3D printers.

Its a 1424 x 280 dsi display, 6.9inches long. Rockchip has really good dsi support. its an uncommon size, so its unlikely getting a conversion to hdmi with separate hardware and the MIPI secrets . I dont know how open the rockchip driver kernel thing is or how it works. I think its some kind of binary blob. There is unlikely a mainline linux kernel for the screen.
At that price anythings possible, but from what Ive seen rockchip and MIPI DSI screens have a "just works" kinda relationship, not to oversimplify. Which makes the esoteric screen combination economical.

800x480 is the new 8x20

More
09 Mar 2023 02:59 #266176 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic PlanetPC XR series

man, that price....

Exactly, with the added "for an ARM?" :)
I am sure i have seen someone on youtube use such a monitor with quite good quality, one of them is Zack Friedman, the other i can not recall the name.
Zack used it as cyberdeck, the other used it for youtube chat vertically.

More
11 Mar 2023 22:52 #266440 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic PlanetPC XR series

man, that price....

It's cheaper on Inidigogo. 
www.indiegogo.com/projects/planetpc-xr-mini-desktop#/
And pricing is similar to a NUC?

I did contact Planet (its the old Psion crowd, to an extent, and I have one of their Gemini PDAs) and they said that the touchscreen was fully available to programmers.

More
14 Mar 2023 00:27 #266619 by cakeslob
Replied by cakeslob on topic PlanetPC XR series
I should rephrase, what I mean is, its a nice looking well built unit with a modular processor, but for my application, personally I dont wanna pay an arm and a leg for an ARM. sorry for the awful joke.
Those gemini pda's on the other hand, are exactly what Im looking for and will probably buy one.

they said that the touchscreen was fully available to programmers

If its the old psion team, then it should be legit. I barely understand how linux or linuxcnc even work, I just saying its probably gonna have a fancy hardware driver thing for the screen.

For anyone interested, I use this site for screen information, they have info/suppliers for like....every screen. For some reason I do a lot of screen stuff
www.panelook.com/resmodlist.php?resolutions[]=4388

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds