Off thee shelf 2023 mini Pc single board computer

More
15 Aug 2023 19:38 #278069 by PaulQUE
Hello everyone

I'm beginning to retrofit an EMCO F1 cnc milling machine and I plan to integrate the computer inside the electronic enclosure, as the machine will be located in my very small workshop and I can not afford to have a regular computer hanging around. 

I am looking for a single board computer or else a very small computer to which I can hook up my mesa 7i96s, something that doesn't require extensive work to just get the instal on there.

is anybody satisfied with a solution?

regards, Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2023 19:56 #278072 by tommylight
HP 8300 SFF
Used, had 6 and all but one are still in daily use.

More
15 Aug 2023 19:59 #278073 by PaulQUE
thanks for the input, I may not have been precise enough, But I'm looking for something much much smaller than that, I see a lot of SBCs like the latte panda, but I'm unsure of what is needed to make Linuxcnc run on them. I'm also considering mini computers like the gigabyte brix series
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
15 Aug 2023 20:47 #278079 by cornholio
Odroid has a new x86 sbc.
www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-h3-plus/

I’m running it’s predecessor and it’s a great little bit of kit. Great thing about it is the dual Ethernet ports. All you need to add is ram and either a ssd or nvme and off you go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
15 Aug 2023 22:42 #278091 by rodw
I also have an Odroid H2+ runung ethercat hardware.
You need Debian Bullseye or above to get NIC driver support
Some people have complained about latency on the H3+. I can't see why it could not be solved.

Otherwise, the Gigabyte BRIX J1900 or N3160 are great. Mine are still going strong after 7 years...

Alternatively look for an Industrial PC preferably with an Intel NIC Celeron J1900 4 core and above

More
17 Aug 2023 20:31 #278296 by PaulQUE
Thanks for the input, I'm also looking at lenovos 93z Aio integrated pc with touch screen and a core i5, would these be suitable?

More
18 Aug 2023 07:20 #278327 by RotarySMP
I have both a Gigabyte Brix N3160 and an HP elitedesk 800 g2 mini on my two lathes. Both work fine with Mesa cards, but the HP is way faster, boots fast etc. The Brix is solid but slow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
16 Nov 2023 17:38 #285637 by Unlogic
Just a little heads up to anyone using this thread for reference as I did when purchasing hardware. The kernel that currently ships with Debian 12.2 contains a broken driver for the Intel i219-LM network card in the HP Elitedesk 800 G2 mini making it unusable with LinuxCNC 2.9 at the moment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ozo, spumco

More
16 Nov 2023 19:47 #285645 by spumco

Just a little heads up to anyone using this thread for reference as I did when purchasing hardware. The kernel that currently ships with Debian 12.2 contains a broken driver for the Intel i219-LM network card in the HP Elitedesk 800 G2 mini making it unusable with LinuxCNC 2.9 at the moment.

Thanks again for researching the i219 fiasco.  I'm wondering how RotarySMP (Mark) is getting on with his G2... I think he's on 2.8 on both his lathes and probably using a 4.x RT kernel.

I'm going to try MX and/or Mint on my backup mini PC tonight, and I also purchased an 800 G1 mini last night from fleabay.  That one has a i217 NIC - the same thing PCW's reported to be useable.

More
16 Nov 2023 20:21 #285650 by Unlogic
I suspect LinuxCNC 2.8 users are fine as I don't think the driver bug was present in the kernel that shipped with that version of Debian.

It seems like the fix has been included in the Ubuntu kernel but not the Debian one from what I've read online. The best approach here would possibly be to see if we could get Debian to also include it.

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds