CAD / CAM computer build recommendations

More
15 Dec 2023 14:04 #288216 by my1987toyota
So in a year or so Windows 10 will be EOL. If I could say goodbye to Windows altogether I would .
That said I will be needing to build my next CAD/CAM computer because of certain programs that
don't like to play with Linux very well. and my main machine is getting slower to render projects.
That said my laptop at work is hilariously slower at the same tasks.Usually my solution would be
to build a gaming rig and just use that, but I like to keep my options open and see what others
have had good luck with. I am kicking around the idea of using a newer Dell Optiplex
possibly the 7090 MT and adding to it. That said,
What have you guys had good results with?
How much RAM becomes overkill?
Are gamer video cards still best bang for the buck?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2023 14:26 #288219 by tommylight
Oh hell ... :)
PC market has become an utterly terrible minefield, manufacturers are knowingly miss using the fact people do not know much about PC's, so now we have 4 generations of Intel processors with nothing new and slower than the 10'th gen.
AMD started doing that also, but only for laptops so far.
To make this easier, how much are you willing to shell out for this?
In general, stay away from new (after 2020) OEM stuff, those are mindbogglingly bad at any price point, from very bad power supplies to utterly insufficient cooling to miserably weak power regulation mosfet's.
Watch "gamers nexus" on youtube for Alienware (expensive Dell), but do sit down before starting to watch.
It is a bit easier for laptops, Lenovo AMD everything are quite good and OK priced, i have 2.
So how much?
:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: my1987toyota

More
15 Dec 2023 19:48 #288264 by my1987toyota
well tommylight I am hoping to keep the cost down to $1500 that's part of the reason I
had for wanting a newer used machine. The brand new stuff is just mind blowing price wise.
I will definitely check out gamers nexus. I don't know I may end up just bumping up
my current machines ram and hold it together for a few more years. See if the manufacturers
can get their act together by then

More
15 Dec 2023 20:07 #288268 by tommylight
Yay that is enough money to get a very good PC, well parts for a very good PC! :)
Seasonic power supply, Gigabyte AM5 motherboard, AMD Ryzen 5 or 7, AMD rx 6600 or 6700XT, 32GB ram, etc
Where do you shop? Is Microcenter OK?
I will try to make some time to make a list for you.
27" monitor, QHD resolution, not negotiable, frequency is as you do not need 360Hz for gaming, so 60 or 75Hz will do just fine.
That will be future proof for at least another 5 years, even for casual gaming (competitive gaming also but not the latest games, those are bloated)
Also, video editing? This is important as using DaVinci Resolve the AMD RX6800 and RX6900 will beat the living sh#t out of 4x more expensive Nvidia RTX4090.

More
16 Dec 2023 02:51 #288283 by my1987toyota
Thanks, tommylight.
I haven't had any dealings with Microcenter yet. I have dealt with Newegg and Amazon. I will definitely keep in mind
the Graphics card part. Most of the main CPU's I have used  has been 8th gen intel and older.  I don't have direct
experience with the Ryzen series. I guess it's time I changed that. It's a shame a lot of the new hardware has become
like todays cars over-priced, over-hyped, and underwhelming.

More
16 Dec 2023 04:03 #288287 by blazini36
Not too sure about the whole "using DaVinci Resolve the AMD RX6800 and RX6900 will beat the living sh#t out of 4x more expensive Nvidia RTX4090." thing. I don't use that but video editing software is almost always geared towards Nvidia, which I why I have some 4070s in 1 machine when I prefer AMD cards. Had to look into that and came across this....
www.pugetsystems.com/solutions/video-edi...are-recommendations/

My gaming machine has a 6900xt, I've got a video box with 2 4070s, and my main desktop has a 5700xt (5yo build). Anything with general video editing it's better to go with Nvidia since alot of software focuses on CUDA, plus NVENC is better than AMDs AMF encoder.

That said, AMD GPUs hardware wise are generally a better bang for the buck and CAD isn't really that stressful unless you're doing crazy stuff in Blender. I've never felt the need to upgrade the 5700xt in my main box, which I can easily do since I have better cards laying but it's not worth buying a new waterblock and re-piping it. For reference I this machine is a 3900x CPU and 5700xt GPU and it drives 4 1080p monitors. I try very hard to stick with Linux so I run FreeCAD for CAD/CAM. AFAIK that's just OpenGL which you can't go wrong with AMD. If you're mostly just designing parts in CAD, a 6700xt is more than fine.

Personally I stick with Corsair power supplies. They aren't that expensive and I have never had one die.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, my1987toyota

More
16 Dec 2023 17:07 #288349 by tommylight

Not too sure about the whole "using DaVinci Resolve the AMD RX6800 and RX6900 will beat the living sh#t out of 4x more expensive Nvidia RTX4090." thing.

They are the only ones mentioning this, so i did some tests with an RX6800 and RX6900 against RTX3080 = massacre!!!
To bad DaVinci is the only software capable of using that.
And i do agree with Blazini on everything, except do not look at Pudget for anything, they are financed heavily by one and not so heavily by the other CPU/GPU manufacturers.
Corsair would be my second choice for power supplies, always.

More
16 Dec 2023 19:50 #288360 by blazini36
I can't find anything that backs this guys tests in DR up. He even makes it clear that the thing with DR is an outlier and it was something that just popped up. It's just funny that you specifically mentioned DR when it gets smoked in everything else, even in that video.

That said, a 4090 is a horribly overpriced card. Even a 6900xt is too expensive to be mentioned in this thread. The fact of the matter is that a 4090 is the highest performance consumer card available, any talk outside of that is cherry picking.

Another thing worth considering is an Intel Arc A770. These cards are far overspec'd for their price because of Intel trying to gain a foothold. I had 2 that I returned because they weren't working out on a machine that has a specific use but these cards are far underrated because the drivers and software support aren't near AMD or Nvidia. They've been steadily improving so they're definately worth considering for a budget build.

More
18 Dec 2023 23:11 #288528 by my1987toyota
good thing I still have some time before I would start buying parts.

More
22 Dec 2023 00:09 #288796 by blazini36
You really can't go wrong with anything new you buy for general CAD work. You can stuff a pretty competent PC into a $1500 budget so unless you have something specific in mind the only good advice is to say to get as much as you can with that $1500.

General CAD work is like nothing to a newer PC with a discrete GPU, a web browser with a bunch of tabs open will use more resources. Now if you want to render something with textures or some kind of animation or do some high resolution video rendering/streaming, then you have a bit more to worry about but without being specific about what you're doing there's no real advice to give. A decent desktop CPU with an integrated GPU will handle most general CAD work fine, though just having some discrete GPU is preferable so you're not using shared memory. I swapped my 64gb RAM kit out of my desktop because I couldn't even use half of it, 32gb is fine.

Time to create page: 0.360 seconds