another esp32 mpg pendant

More
19 Mar 2024 12:50 #296320 by schoch
Since Meister posted his I thought I'd post mine also.  This is in a very rough stage but it is working and snappy/responsive.

Some differences between his and mine:

1. I'm using a UDP server for the linuxcnc component.

This means you could easily have multiple devices talking to this via the esp_now bridge, or just over plain wifi.
    This may be nice because you can avoid wires and have a control panel and a pendant talking to the same component or if you wanted to have redundant controls in more than one location.

2. I'm using a esp32 S3 usb->NCM networking device.
    The idea is that this becomes optional where you can move to vanilla wifi and remove this if you like. 
    The benefit is this is only one usb connection, no ethernet cable needed.  If your linuxcnc box is network isolated this is also a good fit.

3. Msgpack serialization
   Benefit here is readabilty and other integrations like an android app or non c/c++ stuff 

the hardware design is in the repo below.  This is very prototype stage. There are 4 encoders, 2 buttons, 1 i2c OLED, and 1 rbg smart led data pin broken out.  The encoders suck, but work well enough for my testing.  I also think i need more buttons...

I made a video talking about programming it.  I'm a dogshit programmer so it doesn't likely help the pros but I wanted to document and I hope it helps other lcnc newbies.

github.com/jschoch/now_pendant
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, meister, Arpad, aparecido, roland, Mecanix

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds