HP Elite 8300 LinuxCNC - Axis USB Keyboard stops working, reboot resurects

More
25 Apr 2024 18:25 #299075 by slowpoke
I'm using the Axis GUI 2.92 with a HP Elite 8300 and a Mesa7i95t.

Everything was working fine (other than an occasional pop up message about Unexpected Realtime delay)

Recently the keyboard stops working part way through a session. If I reboot, the keyboard starts working again (for a while). I swapped keyboards no difference. I moved the keyboard to other USB ports, no difference.

One other thing I noticed was an occasional pop up about "sticky keys" program. I can't recall if I perhaps installed this for some purpose or it was there all along and I didn't notice it. Perhaps unrelated or possible a hint?

Any suggestions on how do diagnose this problem?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2024 19:34 - 26 Apr 2024 19:36 #299143 by tommylight
Was this used on a plasma cutting machine?
Or a mill with a bigger spindle?
In both cases, missing grounding will do that, even break the ports, but in those cases ports usuallu end up dead.
If not, i have seen one case where a faulty keyboard took down an expensive motherboard, but no idea how or why as it was under warranty so they both got replaced.
Normally, what you explain is very unusual behavior, hence the above questions.
Edit
Just occurred to me that 8300 might be the USFF, so is the PC powered by an adapter/brick?
Some will have ground tied to chasis/outer ring on the plug, some will not.
If yours does not, extend a ground wire and bolt it to the case, see if that gets tid of the issue.
Last edit: 26 Apr 2024 19:36 by tommylight. Reason: more info.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slowpoke

More
27 Apr 2024 10:15 - 27 Apr 2024 10:19 #299179 by slowpoke
This is a regular sized desktop PC with internal power supply.

This is a knee mill and everything is grounded properly.

Resurrection of the keyboard after rebooting the PC makes me suspect something on the software side but who knows?

Moving the keyboard to another USB port while it's non functional does not help, so it seems unlikely to be hardware,

Is Stickykeys part of the 2.92 ISO? I can't recall installing this but I might have and I want to rule it out as a possible problem, I do get intermittent pop up messages about sticky keys.

Is there some sort of LinuxCNC diagnostic that I can run or examine when the keyboard stops working? Obviously I would have to access it via mouse clicks.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2024 10:19 by slowpoke.

More
27 Apr 2024 11:28 #299182 by rodw
If the keyboard is not working, its a Linux (or hardware) issue. The Linuxcnc ISO does not install any sticlky keys app but it might be a default Debian thing.
Its nothing to do with linuxCNC, trying to reinstall may resolve things.

More
27 Apr 2024 12:31 #299183 by royka
You can use an onscreen keyboard that you can control with the mouse or login via ssh and check if "sudo dmesg" shows something.
Trying another kernel might help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slowpoke

More
27 Apr 2024 23:40 #299218 by slowpoke
It's possible it might actually be the keyboard, on a long shot I tried yet another keyboard (third one), and it actually seems to be working... touch wood.

Time will tell.....

Thanks and hopefully this is the end of the keyboard blues.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds