Wiring limit switches to MESA 7i96s

More
12 Aug 2024 13:43 - 12 Aug 2024 13:58 #307544 by cncproject2024
I have bought 8 of these limit switches uk.rs-online.com/web/p/limit-switches/7768560 to use with my LinuxCNC machine. I was wondering how I wire them to a MESA 7i96s. The machine has 2 motors running on the x axis, 1 on the y axis and 1 on the z axis. Am I able to get away with just using 4 switches in total that will work for homing and as limit switches. Or should I use all 8 and have separate homing and limit switches. I assume that the switches get wired to the input pins on the mesa card. However, I don't see enough ground connections for them. Shoud I connect the common pin (the one besides the inputs) to a breadboard and then wire all the commons on the limit switch to it through that, while connecting the other pins of the limit switch to the respective input pins?Thanks
Last edit: 12 Aug 2024 13:58 by cncproject2024.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2024 15:24 #307550 by PCW
4 Limit/home switches should be enough since LinuxCNCs soft limits
will prevent travel past machine limits.

Typically you would wire limit switches in a normally closed (NC) configuration
to 7I96S isolated inputs with the 7I96S input common wired to GND

so

+24V --> Switch common  --> switch NC contact --> 7I96S input

Normally closed is used so that a broken wire will result in an immediate fault

With normally closed contacts, you need to invert the hal inputs for the switches
The following user(s) said Thank You: cncproject2024

More
12 Aug 2024 15:44 #307554 by cncproject2024
So for these switches I've bought they need supplied with 24v to operate? Is 24v input not too high voltage for the 7i96s? Would it be possible to wire them in normally open to the output pins with no supply voltage to the switches. Then when the limit switch is hit, there is a 5v signal from the 7i96s which results in linuxcnc recognising that a limit switch has been hit? Sorry for all the questions. I'm working on this project as part of my internship and I am very close to the deadline and still not finished so I'm starting to panic.

More
12 Aug 2024 16:51 #307565 by PCW
You need some voltage across the switch for operation
generally 5V is too low for reliable operation of mechanical
switches so 12 V or 24V are suggested. The 7I96S isolated
inputs are rated to work with 4V to 36V input voltages.

NO or NC makes no difference except for hal settings

You can try 5V but its not the best.

More
12 Aug 2024 17:08 #307567 by cncproject2024
In pnconf configuration, how do I know which input number corresponds to the input pins on my 7i96s?

More
12 Aug 2024 17:26 #307569 by cncproject2024
I think I've found the correct pins in pncof. But when I select the pin for home z axis and it hits the limit switch. Instead of continuing the homing routine it shuts off the whole system and says j3 hit limit in home state. Is the whole point of the homing routine not that it hits the liit switch and then continues the homing sequence for the other axis (I'm homing x first btw). Do I need to select it as a different function? I thought the home function would surely be the correct one

More
12 Aug 2024 17:53 #307572 by cncproject2024
I have now solved the issue. Thanks for the help

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds