Raspberry Pi CNC hat circuit board

More
22 Aug 2024 21:00 #308432 by atomicmill
Hello,
I wanted to replace the external Linuxcnc control PC on my mill with a dedicated control inside the electrical cabinet, but I needed something compact that is easy to wire inside an enclosure, which is why I thought of using the RPi5 and a custom designed GPIO breakout board.

The board is intended to be used as a 5 axis step/dir platform with 6 extra outputs and 10 inputs. All the Raspberry pins are digitally isolated and the outputs are buffered with 5V @ ~20 mA drive capability. The board has dedicated power connectors for the 5V RPi supply and 24V isolated bus. A 5V step down converter connected to the 24V bus provides the necessary voltage to run the digital isolators and buffer gates.

Here's the new repository with the Kicad design files: github.com/atomicmill/raspberry-pi-5-Linuxcnc-hat

So far I tested the board with LCNC 2.9 and the Probe Basic and PlasmaC UIs. I hope this board is of use to anyone looking for a low cost all in one LinuxCNC control.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aciera, royka, onceloved

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2024 12:34 #309279 by andypugh
What sort of step rates are you getting through the GPIO? (And which driver are you using?)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds