ideas-collection-tread for a new rio board

More
24 Sep 2024 01:16 #310679 by cornholio
Instead of reinventing the wheel does anyone see an issue with using the standard db25 pinout that used by std parallel port break out boards ?

It makes for a quick entry point, easy conversion from a parallel port setup. I know the 17 pins is awkward, 99% of packages are multiples of 4 or 8.

For the output from the motherboard, FET bus switches and pullup resistors make for a simple 3.3v to 5v conversion (bus switches need a ~3.9 to ~4.2v supply), as used by one of the big hitters.

Those that want an easy entry can use the above mentioned std BoB, more advanced users can "roll their own".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2024 06:29 #310688 by meister
i agree that there should be a new modular system so that everyone can incorporate their own ideas.
But this already exists: forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/49142-lin...cp5?start=450#308969

I am very enthusiastic about its design!

Here in this thread I would still like to build a rather small DIN-Rail board, not only with a DIN mount, but in a real DIN-Rail housing.
So that it is space-saving and sufficient for a large part of normal desktop milling, perhaps also for a lathe (1x index encoder).

More
24 Sep 2024 06:44 #310689 by meister
in principle, i thought it would be like the tangoboard, but with LEDs connected to the IOs, W5500 and modbus on top, DIN rail housing and the power supply of the FPG via such DC-DC converters: URB2412YMD-10WR3.

More
25 Sep 2024 00:02 #310739 by cakeslob

i agree that there should be a new modular system so that everyone can incorporate their own ideas.
But this already exists: forum.linuxcnc.org/18-computer/49142-lin...cp5?start=450#308969

that is the opposite of what i am suggesting

Instead of reinventing the wheel does anyone see an issue with using the standard db25 pinout that used by std parallel port break out boards ?

yeah but they never stopped improving the wheel. the first wheel was probably shit. paraport standard is old n busted and needs to be paraport compliant. thats also the first board everyone already made

what i am suggesting is basically a 7i76 (without mesa smart serial stuff) that reflects the common cnc machine in 202x, what we can just plug our coreboard into boards into and run what ever we want.

but its fine, i see this isnt what we are talking about, i will move along.

More
25 Sep 2024 06:00 #310753 by meister

what i am suggesting is basically a 7i76 (without mesa smart serial stuff) that reflects the common cnc machine in 202x, what we can just plug our coreboard into boards into and run what ever we want.

ok, then we already have an intersection ,
what IO's does a machine need in 202x ?

We can also design a common schematic and 2 layouts, ISO-style and 7i76-style

I just wonder why we need different ‘coreboards’,
that would only make sense if you want to make a microcontroller version, when it comes to FPGA's it almost doesn't matter which one you take. 

More
25 Sep 2024 08:16 #310760 by cornholio

that is the opposite of what i am suggesting

yeah but they never stopped improving the wheel. the first wheel was probably shit. paraport standard is old n busted and needs to be paraport compliant. thats also the first board everyone already made

but its fine, i see this isnt what we are talking about, i will move along.

When I was designing the daughter boards for the Aliexpress fpga dev I use I designed it in mind with compatibility with Mesa db25 daughter cards, which is 17 signals on pins 1-17, 4 that are dedicated ground and 4 that can be jumpered to be be either 5v or GND. Probably not applicable directly to RIO but I thought it was a good system.
Not only can I use modified Mesa firmware to suit (EPP or SPI interface) but also RIO firmware with either direct SPI or with UDP bridge, this wasn't the original goal, it just worked out that way.

At the end of the day the developer has to be happy with his designs, when he is people will use it.

More
25 Sep 2024 14:54 #310777 by cakeslob

I just wonder why we need different ‘coreboards’,
that would only make sense if you want to make a microcontroller version, when it comes to FPGA's it almost doesn't matter which one you take. 

Sorry, you listed 3 FPGAs, i was under the impression it did matter. but yes, obviously i would like to make a micro controller version

More
25 Sep 2024 19:53 #310797 by RDA
I was thinking about something different or a mix of the ideas posted. So at least I am confused about the ”target device”.I was thinking about something like a ”DIY mesa” with ethernet. So that you have the core board and then you can make a bunch of ”baseboards”.I think ~200pin FPGA for parport stuff is quite overkill?Maybe put together a list of needs and then work from there?

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds