MPG from SerialEplorer serial

More
14 Dec 2010 10:46 - 14 Dec 2010 10:48 #6022 by xploited
Hey,

I have an unused 3dconnexion SerialEplorer 3d mouse kicking around that I bought before i realized there were only drivers for linux.

It seems like it would be a pretty decent MPG having 14 buttons and the 6dof joystick. No accurate dented encoder or the likes but it would serve my purposes perfectly.

Is it possible to use this as a MPG? and if so how?

I'm guessing it isn't going to be as simple as watching /dev/ttS# and interpolating the output. I do have programming and linux experience but nothing this deep, mostly GUI programs.

Any help or points in the right direction would be awesome!

Thanks
Last edit: 14 Dec 2010 10:48 by xploited.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2010 13:30 #6030 by andypugh
As a first step, try following the instructions here:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/emcinfo.pl?Simple_Remote_Pendant
And see if you get a load of useful-looking pins. If you do, then use halmeter/halscope to see if they have useful values.

(This rather assumes it is USB,)

More
17 Dec 2010 02:17 #6087 by xploited
I did some more research into this and I came across an SDK for linux with examples of reading values. To even top that off someone rewrote the interface to be way more clean to use as 3dconnextions was pieced together since 1993 and pretty messy.

I currently have a program wrote in C that correctly reads and gives values for the buttons as well as the joystick but I'm having trouble understanding how to get the values to emc.

More
17 Dec 2010 06:23 - 17 Dec 2010 06:24 #6089 by psha
Look into halui.cc for example.
Create pins representing real buttons and run loop which set them to values you've read from joystick.
Last edit: 17 Dec 2010 06:24 by psha.

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds