differences between NC code & G code

More
03 Dec 2009 01:24 #1236 by vincent
I don't know what's the differences between NC code and G code, I think they are the same, but some files metion that they are quiet different. so is the NC code generated in CAD/CAM? but what about the G code?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2009 18:51 #1246 by Rturner
G-code is a colloquial name for Numeric Code. However, there are many different styles of G-code/NC. EMC2 happens to use its own variant (officially titled rs274ngc) based upon the NIST standard. I might be screwing up the names and timeline here, but I believe the NIST standard was developed from rs274d, which originated in the 1980's. There are varying degrees of interoperability between styles, and most "professional" CAM programs have post-processors to convert between styles. The simplest styles of G-code programming is nothing more than a list of movement and coordinate commands. rs274ngc on the other hand, is structured like a high-level programming language and includes arithmetic functions, variables, conditions, loops, and sub-routines.

The online g-code reference manual for EMC is a great source for learning about G-code BTW. One of the best available.

Hope that helps a little.

More
04 Dec 2009 07:17 #1253 by vincent
thanks a lot, Rturner. This makes the concepts more clear to me.~ And one more question, does EMC2.3.3 is able to work with B-splines? For example, how can I display a curve in the preview plot??

More
07 Dec 2009 23:03 #1269 by Rturner
Hi Vincent,
I have to claim ignorance on the subject of B-splines within EMC2. I *thought* that b-spline support is more-or-less still being tested in the development version, but I'm not certain since I use an older version and don't really work with splines anyways. I think there's a conversation about this very things somewhere else on the forums though.. Possibly one of the moderators would have an answer too. good luck!

More
09 Dec 2009 12:35 #1273 by BigJohnT
vincent wrote:

thanks a lot, Rturner. This makes the concepts more clear to me.~ And one more question, does EMC2.3.3 is able to work with B-splines? For example, how can I display a curve in the preview plot??

I don't know what a B-spline is but if your asking about Nurbs only the development version 2.4 has that and it is AFAIK not tested.

John

More
09 Dec 2009 23:26 #1285 by Rturner
Just so that we're on the same page: NURBS is a sub-set of B-splines.. With regards to CAD the two terms are often used inter-changeably... And yes, I did have to double-check this on wikipedia :)

More
14 Dec 2009 10:37 #1315 by Skullworks
If the spline is output by your CAD/CAM as a series of short line segments then EMC will handle it just fine for the most part. There can be cutter comp issues if going into an inside corner.

Also during actual cutting you will need to use the G64 p with a tolerance value or EMC may bog down.

More
21 Jan 2010 09:30 #1574 by iriaf
when i try to run this code shows me an error:
G01 X10 Y10 Z10

why EMC can not excute this code?
is,nt there any way to excute it?

More
21 Jan 2010 10:31 #1576 by acemi

why EMC can not excute this code?

Did you give a feed rate? For example:

F100
G01 X10 Y10 Z10

or

G01 X10 Y10 Z10 F100

Time to create page: 0.281 seconds