Forced to learn GCode NCP

More
20 Feb 2010 07:56 #1966 by Monotoba
Hi All,

I am trying to help my father with his CNC milling. He is a hobbiest and I have become the designated goto guy for answers... I have read the gcode references in the EMC2 manual and looked up much online. I have learned quite a bit but I am still looking to learn more (He keeps coming up with more questions...)

So I was hoping some of you may know of a few books I can purchase that will concentrate on gcode programming. I know we can use CAD software to do much of the gcode generation. In fact I have been using gSimple to produce most of our gcode. But there are some things that it will not do ( or at least I haven't found a way to make it do it).

So if you have a favorite book that show samples of gcode, methods, and algorithms and parametric examples, let me know. Since I'm a software developer my Dad thinks I can learn anything. I am now being forced to learn NC ;-) Admittedly, I am enjoying it.

Thanks for your input

Randy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2010 12:38 #1968 by BigJohnT
Randy,

The only book that pertains to G-Code for EMC is the EMC User Manual. Once you get past G0, G1, G2 & G3 everything might/will be different between different control softwares.

Have you looked at the simple g code generators on the wiki site or the sample g code files?

If you have any suggestions for improvements on the EMC Manuals just let me know.

John

More
20 Feb 2010 13:00 #1969 by step4linux
I think it would be good you tell us a bit more what is the main focus of your dad's hobby: milling wood, metal or pcb ?, 2D ? 3D milling.
do you want to understand gcode, or how gcode is created by cad/cam tools ?

for the latter case, look here for instance
code.google.com/p/dxf2gcode/
code.google.com/p/heekscnc/

rgds, Gerd

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds