"bad number format (conv failed) parsing"?[SOLVED]

More
17 Jan 2014 04:25 - 17 Jan 2014 21:56 #42888 by clunc
Getting error: "bad number format (conv failed) parsing""

This one's a run-time error. At a certain line--rather, between a certain PAIR of DEBUG comments--in the program AXIS displays an error msg (white X in red circle), but the program executes a few lines past it before ceasing to execute.

(EDIT: I forgot to mention that an (AXIS, stop) comment command precedes this code block.)

You can see from the attached (takes moment to attach screengrab...) that the suspect "G91" line (on the right) parses correctly (on the left) in the (DEBUG) statement at the top, but that in any case the actual "G91" line presented for execution has no parameters in it.

The left-hand display shows the output of the DEBUG, followed by the "bad number format" error, followed by the bracketing "Woot".

The problem may be that I am still thinking like a programmer in that I'm expecting the "bad format" error to be occurring BETWEEN the two comments, but it could be, I suppose, an error detected by some independent process that is queued to the error display and comes out wherever it happens to fall.

:blink:

What's happening?
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Jan 2014 21:56 by clunc. Reason: make solved

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2014 17:54 #42911 by ArcEye
Hi

Very hard to tell much from such a small snippet, but should think it is coming from the line you highlight.

You can see from the attached (takes moment to attach screengrab...) that the suspect "G91" line (on the right) parses correctly (on the left) in the (DEBUG) statement at the top,

DEBUG does not parse anything, it echo's the line, making substitutions as required (printf-ish) and anyway that line in DEBUG is not the same as the one that fails

Look at .../src/rs274ngc/interp_read.cc in the linuxcnc sources

Interp::read_real_number()

for the origin of the error message

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: clunc

More
17 Jan 2014 21:54 #42919 by clunc

Hi

You can see from the attached (takes moment to attach screengrab...) that the suspect "G91" line (on the right) parses correctly (on the left) in the (DEBUG) statement at the top,

DEBUG does not parse anything, it echo's the line, making substitutions as required (printf-ish) and anyway that line in DEBUG is not the same as the one that fails

Thanks, ArcEye.

I didn't mean to say that DEBUG was parsing, but that the DEBUG statement demonstrated that (whatever) the parser was able to parse the parameters correctly.

Very hard to tell much from such a small snippet...

...and in fact, it was (just) slightly beyond it. For the life of me, I could not see (parse?) it, and finally, after 3 days of staring at it (I am old) resorted to inserting M2, line-by-line, until I was forced to conclude it HAD to be in that line I'd looked at a thousand times.

I finally saw it: "<#ZDOWN>" instead of "#<ZDOWN>".

Sheesh, at least here's one real-world example of what "bad number format (connection failed parsing "" means.

Sorry for the poor use of bandwidth, but I'm very happy to get the insights into how to peek into the underlying source code.
--
clunc

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds