Having Issues getting G code file to run

More
24 May 2014 00:09 #47259 by ts_engraving
When I create my G code file using V Carve Pro and bring it into EMC2 to run on my Sherline Milling machine, when I hit run nothing happens and I don't know why. I sometimes get an error telling me that there is no tool available or other times an issue about a tool change that I don't understand why it is looking for a tool change when I only intended use one tool. It is getting rather frustrating. I'm using the right post processor as near as I can tell. Can someone point me in the right direction. I have a CNC engraver that I use V Carve Pro to create my G code file and import into Mach3 and have no problems with it. I just don't understand what is so different that it won't work when I want to use the milling machine and choose the post processor for EMC2.

Thanks.......Terry Wade.....T's Engraving,llc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2014 00:20 #47260 by alan_3301
try the mach3 post processor or a generic one.
even if there are no tool changes it will probably call the first tool.
linuxcnc should just pop up a window saying insert tool 1 and click ok.

if that is no help, try entering the gcode line by line into the MDI box and see what line gives you an error.
It is most likely something in the header and not the actual gcodes, so you should find your problem in the first few lines.

More
24 May 2014 01:02 #47263 by ts_engraving
I have tried the Mach3 processor once before and EMC2 didn't seem to like that. I figured out how to enter a tool but now I sometimes get the issue about a tool change. I just want to see the milling machine run with a G code file that I created. I know it will run manually and I can use the EMC2 like a digital read out but I bought this mill to engrave some smaller items and also to make some smaller parts. Very frustrating right now. Will try a couple of things I thought of in a little while.

More
24 May 2014 01:28 #47264 by alan_3301
just remove everything in the header and add
g17
g20
g40
g49
g90
g94

then to the end of the file add

M2

that is a basic header to cancel all compensation, use XY Plane, and feed units in inches. replace g20 for g21 if you use millimeters.
see how that works.

More
24 May 2014 17:51 #47281 by ArcEye
Hi

You asked about post processors a while back and I wonder if you ever found the ones cncbasher posted (they are not obvious, buried in the wikis)

The page is here wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Cam_Post

The post processors are here

wiki.linuxcnc.org/uploads/Linuxcnc_mm.pp

wiki.linuxcnc.org/uploads/Linuxcnc_inch.pp

They should output Linuxcnc compatible code

regards

More
31 May 2014 03:57 #47560 by ts_engraving
Earlier when I was asking about the post processors was at a time I didn't know that they were already there in the V-Carve program. Once I found them that problem was resolved. I just finally got the chance to try what Alan_3301 suggested this morning and I had no success. When I hit the run button it hi-lighted a line of code and did nothing. It says its running but nothing is moving and when I try to get out of it, it says the interpreter is still running. I guess what I don't understand is how long does it take from when I hit the run button to when things start to move. When I load one of the sample files it takes off immediately when I hit the run button. I guess I was expecting the same kind of response with my file, does it take a while for it to react? Maybe I'm not giving it enough time to get started.

More
31 May 2014 14:04 - 31 May 2014 14:07 #47570 by ArcEye
Without the code you are talking about, no-one can assist.

If the line it is on is a pause ( M1 M0) it will sit there forever until you resume it.

Likewise, if it is a conditional test which is never satisfied or if waiting for an input that does not occur.

So no, it is not normal, there is something wrong with the code.

regards
Last edit: 31 May 2014 14:07 by ArcEye.

More
05 Jun 2014 23:43 #47725 by ts_engraving
I have hit the continue button several times and nothing is going on. I have one of the files that I would like to cut for my nephew to make him a key fob in aluminum bar that I have and I'm having problems getting it to run. If someone could take a look at the file and tell me where the problem is I would deeply appreciate it. It is very frustrating for me at the moment.

Thanks.....Terry
Attachments:

More
06 Jun 2014 00:06 #47727 by BigJohnT

I have hit the continue button several times and nothing is going on. I have one of the files that I would like to cut for my nephew to make him a key fob in aluminum bar that I have and I'm having problems getting it to run. If someone could take a look at the file and tell me where the problem is I would deeply appreciate it. It is very frustrating for me at the moment.

Thanks.....Terry

I don't know where the "continue button" is in Axis but the "Run" button (5th from the left) works for me. So far it has ran 800 lines of code in the Axis simulator.

JT

More
06 Jun 2014 00:23 #47729 by ts_engraving
Is the Axis program and EMC2 the same? Or is there something I need to do to get the file to run in EMC2?

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds