single stroke text engraving font

More
31 Dec 2016 15:46 #84962 by johns00056
I am trying to engrave small text lettering 1/4" high with a 1/16" ball end mill. Is there a way to make it use one stroke , rather than moving around the perimeter of each part of the letter? (I want it like Haas default engraving)

I am using truetype tracer with ncgui on ubuntu 2.5.3

There are a bunch of different fonts that came with linuxcnc, but they all engrave the same way, by moving around the perimeter of each part and leaving an island in the center of each stroke.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jan 2017 01:34 #84984 by cmorley

More
01 Jan 2017 02:37 #84994 by andypugh
f-engrave is there as a package if you search Synaptic for LinuxCNC. (but I have never used it)

I wrote some G-code to engrave numbers (and only numbers) if that is what you need.
forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/20-g-code/27169...numbers-on-cylinders

More
01 Jan 2017 14:54 #85015 by johns00056
cmorley, Thanks for the help. The wiki link that you posted is slightly different than the current one and has more information.

---Also, if you see the font path highlighted in RED, you probably do not have a correct path to a .cxf font file. ---

This is what my machine is doing. I put the engrave-11.py file and the font .cfx file in both nc_files and mysubs , without success.
I believe that I have the permissions on the files set correctly.(read and write, execute as program)

I have tried a bunch of different search paths, in the engrave-11.py file -
version = '11'
#fontfile = "/usr/share/qcad/fonts/standard.cxf"
##fontfile = "/usr/share/qcad/fonts/romanc.cxf"
#fontfile = "fonts/standard.cxf"
#fontfile = "/home/johns/fonts/standard.cxf"
#fontfile = "/home/johns/linuxcnc/nc_files/standard.cxf" ####this results in second screenshot
fontfile = "/home/johns/linuxcnc/nc_files/mysubs" #### this gives first screenshot

##added 12/31/16 john s. for engraving
[FILTER]
#PROGRAM_EXTENSION = .png,.gif,.jpg Grayscale Depth Image
PROGRAM_EXTENSION = .py Python Script,.cfx ##### not sure if I need to have a description after the .cfx , like Python Script, or something?

#png = image-to-gcode
#gif = image-to-gcode
#jpg = image-to-gcode
py = python
cfx = ##### not sure if this line is right , or if I even need this .

SUBROUTINE_PATH =/home/johns/linuxcnc/nc_files/mysubs
USER_M_PATH = /home/johns/linuxcnc/nc_files/mysubs

#FONTFILE = /home/johns/linuxcnc/nc_files/mysubs/standard.cxf #### this line did mot help 12/31/16 john s.

# the below 2 lines are examples, a list of directories separated by a colon (no spaces)and are searched in order for first qualifying file#######

#SUBROUTINE_PATH = ../../../nc_files/ngcgui_lib:../../../nc_files/ngcgui_lib/utilitysubs
#USER_M_PATH = ../../../nc_files/ngcgui_lib/mfiles

andypugh, thanks for the input. I need letters and numbers. Synaptic looks pretty complicated ,for me.

Attachments:

More
03 Jan 2017 17:21 #85149 by johns00056
I found a program that will do what I want. StickFont from ncplot.com.

It is for Windows and it cost $25.00 with a free trial for 15 days.

It was easy to download and worked perfectly.

More
19 Mar 2021 12:32 - 29 Mar 2021 11:12 #202828 by IronBones
I also was trying to install various fonts , engraving font but until then I discovered a platform that has very many font styles and many sizes. I am a freelancer by profession and often have orders for logo sketches from various companies or stores. Now with this platform, my work has become more efficient, increased my income, and therefore the number of clients has increased. For those who work in this field, I can recommend this platform upfonts.com/knockout-font-straight-outta...ton-font/upfonts.com . After that, it will be much more efficient and easier to work and create.
Last edit: 29 Mar 2021 11:12 by IronBones. Reason: mistake

More
19 Mar 2021 15:02 #202845 by tommylight
I smell a spam going on ... :)

More
19 Mar 2021 18:54 - 19 Mar 2021 18:55 #202877 by robertspark
www.cnczone.com/forums/cambam/122364-software.html

or search for cambam stick fonts or single line fonts.

they are available in the above link and I've found them in a fit repository too in the past.

(no spam from me... may be a load of bull though :) )

when there are soooo many free fonts about why would you pay for them.....
Last edit: 19 Mar 2021 18:55 by robertspark.

Time to create page: 0.645 seconds