Call a picture from G Code?

More
19 Dec 2018 08:42 #122591 by Nitram
Hello.

I was wondering if it is possible to call a picture from G Code?

The reasoning for this is that some G Code programs saved in the machine are not used often but are invaluable when needed. Therefore with infrequent use, it is easy to forget where, for example, the G54 was located for the setup etc. To expain further, I envisage taking a screenshot or perhaps a pdf from the CAM program (largely the same way that shop docs are produced), inserting this in the same folder as the .ngc file, and set up a tab whereby the .ngc program calls the picture or pdf, and the pre-amble of the .ngc file instructs the user to check the tab and there is a graphical image of how the part is to be set up. Again, I see this as useful if a particular program is run only a few times a year. It is almost like having permanent shop documents associated with a particular file which are able to be viewed automatically on screen whenever the program is needed again down the line.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Marty.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2018 17:46 #122604 by Todd Zuercher
You can set up a custom M-code that will open another file/program.
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/m-code.html#mcode:m100-m199

Not sure if that will do exactly what you want.

More
19 Dec 2018 23:44 #122621 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Call a picture from G Code?
Most of the screen allow 'filter' program. These allow preprocessing of programs.
You could build a filter that looks for a 'magic' comment that specifies a PDF or image to display, before loading the Gcode program.

Chris M

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds