Automatically eliminate gouging script

More
09 Jun 2022 00:09 - 09 Jun 2022 00:13 #244789 by thadwald
Hi
I'm looking for a script that will run through a gcode file and "fix" gouging issues when using G41 tool radius offset so that the interpreter no longer throws the gouging error message.
Either that or a script that will apply a tool radius offset to gcode.
Any help would be appreciated.

I'll add that my gcode is fairly simple--something like a C-shaped curve.

Last edit: 09 Jun 2022 00:13 by thadwald.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2022 12:30 #244802 by Todd Zuercher
It may help if you posted a copy of the problem piece of g-code and the size of the offset you're trying to use.

Running g-code using large radial offsets (such as a tool radius) can be problematic on any cnc control. You need to be sure that your g-code shape is even possible considering the radial offset and tool diameter used, plus appropriate lead-in and lead-out moves must be programed. It is often easier to generate your g-code for the tool center of your intended diameter tool, and only use the radial offsets for tool wear compensation.

More
10 Jun 2022 05:19 - 10 Jun 2022 05:23 #244845 by thadwald
The issue is that I am trying to solve a problem using existing tools, instead of building custom tools.

The gcode is automatically generated by measuring a profile with a scanning CMM and parsing the output file to place a G1 on each line. The irregular surface finish of the measured profile together with measurement errors creates line that has a rough look to it when viewed closely. The overall precision of the profile is within my tolerances and I can easily smooth the profile with G64. But the small irregularities are significant enough to make it impossible to "touch" each line segment with the cutting tool.

I am currently looking into the dxf2gcode project, to see if I could either use it as-is or borrow the cutter compensation code.

Not to complain but I was surprised to learn that cutter comp doesn't have an "ignore gouging" or, better yet, a "avoid invalid geometry" mode. Maybe this is because I do not yet appreciate how involved the process is.
Last edit: 10 Jun 2022 05:23 by thadwald.

More
10 Jun 2022 17:08 #244887 by Todd Zuercher
If I were doing this, I'd probably just import the code into the CAD/CAM software I use at work and either run a smoothing operation on it, or do an outline and/or inline of the original path to smooth it, then generate the tool path I wanted. But I don't know what software you have access to.

More
10 Jun 2022 17:36 #244890 by thadwald
I need to automate the entire process.

More
15 Jun 2022 09:39 #245167 by andypugh
Conveting noisy XY data into smooth curves is a fairly involved task. But I would expect that there are standard routines out there to do the task.

I feel that it would be best to convert the data to valid geometry first.

Maybe this helps? stackoverflow.com/questions/20618804/how...rve-in-the-right-way

More
17 Jun 2022 05:19 - 17 Jun 2022 05:23 #245303 by thadwald
Thank you for the link. I may have to do some smoothing to my profile.
I actually ran into some issues with profiles that are "impossible" to machine--even with perfect measurements. I need the cutter to follow these the best that it possibly can, without gouging. This is exactly the same problem as you would run into when generating a tool path for a pocket roughing tool.

I *think* I solved this problem by using a polygon clipping tool. I got this idea by inspecting the Kiri:moto project and finding out how they do it. It turns out they use a C++ clipper library. This one:
www.angusj.com/delphi/clipper.php
Someone wrote a python wrapper for it  here:
github.com/fonttools/pyclipper
and with a simple 
pip3 install pyclipper
I have the clipper library ready to use.
With this library, I feed the point cloud into the array and expand or contract it.  It returns a new set of points. It appears to do exactly what I want; cull those points that are impossible to reach.
Last edit: 17 Jun 2022 05:23 by thadwald.

More
17 Jun 2022 23:34 #245359 by andypugh

With this library, I feed the point cloud into the array and expand or contract it.  It returns a new set of points. It appears to do exactly what I want; cull those points that are impossible to reach.

Sounds like one of those fin projects that is fascinating at the time, you really understand it, and then 3 years later have _no_ idea how it worked or what you did. 

Make notes :-)

More
18 Jun 2022 01:12 #245370 by thadwald

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds