Acceptable Input Format

More
21 May 2023 14:16 #271823 by Routerworks
I presently use Freecad for outputing g code.  On the linuxcnc side It seems it want to see an ".ngc" format.  Some say any text editor will do. Not so.
I have manually written many gcodes for cnc routers with notepad and other word processors and saved the files as ".txt",  that work fine.  I would like to know if there is a linuxcnc editor type that will save the gcode in an acceptable format.  I keep getting errors like "error near line 4" or error /357.  It seems there is something in the type of text format that is causing this.  

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2023 14:30 #271827 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Acceptable Input Format
You will need to save with "Linux style" line endings.

If you are composing on Windows then Notepad++ knows how to save with the correct line-endings, as does Geany.

But, don't use a "Word processor", that is likely to cause problems, use a text editor.

More
21 May 2023 18:51 #271866 by Routerworks
Replied by Routerworks on topic Acceptable Input Format
What format should I choose in Notepae++, Normal Text?

Thanks

More
21 May 2023 19:24 #271870 by JPL
Replied by JPL on topic Acceptable Input Format
Yes, Normal text is fine.

I would also suggest to click "View" -> "Show Symbol" -> "Show All Characters". This will show characters that are usually not visible. You then look for two things:

#1: End of line characters should be "LF" (written in a 'black box'). If you don't have this you will right click on the taskbar (below) where it says  "Windows (CRLF) or Unix (LF)  or Macintosh (CR), then select Unix (LF). Once done the end of line shoul;d all be "LF".

#2: You should not have anything else written in a a "black box". Delete those if you find any.

Once done don't forget to save. You will loose any changes if you don't.

More
22 May 2023 00:12 #271892 by Routerworks
Many thanks. I used Notepad++ and found how to view and change the characters. Loaded into linuxcnc and ran no problem.

You hit the nail right on the head.

Thanks

More
22 May 2023 09:32 #271916 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Acceptable Input Format
There isn't any built-in syntax highlighting for G-code, but there are a few options available in the User Defined Languages collection:

github.com/notepad-plus-plus/userDefined...ges/tree/master/UDLs

But whether it is really worth the trouble of installing one is debatable.

More
22 May 2023 17:29 #271953 by Routerworks
It seems the only real issue I had was the end of line modifier. I think if one is reasonably comfortable with the g code language of the controller, Notepad will more than do for correcting the end of line modifier. Plain text seems acceptable on most controllers.

Again, thanks

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds