Modify qtplasmac to support multiple output codes

More
04 Jun 2023 18:32 #272893 by santy
Is it possible to change how QTplasmac uses the M3 command to change the probing cycle? Where is the “m3” m code located so that i can change it?
i have a regular “newbie” installation but i can reinstall it if necessary.

Also, is it possible to have a new M code, for example in the sheetcam postprocessor to enable a new output, for example M7, right after the torch has descended from pierce height to cutting height, so that i can use M3 to open the arc and open a valve for piercing gas, and after pierce use M7 to open a valve for cutting gas? I understand how to modify the post processor in sheetcam to post text M7, but Where should i add the M7 code to connect it to a board output?

if this is not possible within qtplasmac, can i do it in plasmac?
I want to retrofit an oxygas machine with linuxcnc so these are some of the troubles that i find. I have no problem in adding a float sensor to my oxy torch.
thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2023 18:42 #272896 by tommylight

..... right after the torch has descended from pierce height to cutting height, so that i can use M3 to open the arc and open a valve for piercing gas, and after pierce use M7 to open a valve for cutting gas?

Do you have an ARC OK input from the plasma cutter?
It can be done without it, also:
Use the arc_ok in to control the valve
no arcok = pierce gas
with arcok = cutting gas.
You can also choose to use the arcok pin after the pierce delay delay (not the pierce delay pin), if it works better for you.
-
And i do not think you need to modify anything to use M7, just wire to what you need in hal and it should work.

More
04 Jun 2023 20:20 #272906 by santy
Hello tommy. Thank you for your help. This is useful in plasma, but my machine is a Oxytome HPC 30 which features a double z axis design, with a plasma torch and a oxy fuel torch.

I intend to trigger the second output in plasma for the cutting gas, and I can in fact use the arc ok here.

But the problem is in the oxy fuel side, where i have modified it to have a floating head, and a timer relay to trigger the lighter for 1 second.

The second gas should turn on after a delay as well, which i would use with M7, after a delay.
Any other ideas to retrofit the flame torch side?
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
04 Jun 2023 21:29 #272913 by rodw
I Think Phil said recently the Z axis code can be left in  if you change a magic comment. Use this in conjunction with another spindle (some are already used by qtp). So I would revert to the old school touchoff.ngc method which does everything in gcode. JT has an example file over on gnipsel.com that you could use as a start.

LAck of support for oxy in qtp is an issue but none of the guys have any experience with it to know how to code it.
In a perfect world, selecting another specific spindle should be recognized as being oxy.

More
05 Jun 2023 00:54 #272920 by phillc54
It probably wouldn't be too difficult to add a spindle to the plasma component to cater for oxy-fuel cutting. As Rod said, I have no idea of the requirements or procedure for oxy-fuel cutting. I also do not have the ability or equipment to do any real world testing. I don't mind creating a test branch if there are willing testers and if we can come up with an agreed starting point for any changes/additions required.

More
05 Jun 2023 01:25 #272925 by rodw

I want to retrofit an oxygas machine with linuxcnc so these are some of the troubles that i find. I have no problem in adding a float sensor to my oxy torch.
thank you!

It would be good if an oxy user could map out the required steps to probe for material, fire the oxy torch and do whatever to the gasses to give a bit of a framework for Phil to work off.

More
05 Jun 2023 05:37 #272928 by phillc54
It may be possible to do what you need by using the plasmac state hal pin (plasmac.state-out) to control the gas.
linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/plasma/qtpl...lasmac_state_outputs

More
05 Jun 2023 10:08 #272936 by tommylight
I am pretty sure i wrote at least twice the procedure for working with oxy on this forum, on the phone so google-foo is weak now.
Again, these are what i gathered so far, please do check everything.
Quick recap:
-Probing possible only with inductive sensor, the round thing around the torch.
-flame can not be off, so only cutting gas controling a valve
-oxy must use preheating, for long periods of time, othevise the material warps a lot
-preheating is done from 20-50mm high, cutting gas is off
-cutting is done from 5-10mm high
-preheating timer might need 30 minutes for thick plates
-piercing is done with cutting gas active
-cutting is usually slow, depends on thicknes and torch type/nozzle
-rarely needs hight adjustment during cut, thick plates and preheating minimise that, but might need on longer cuts
-using two normal inductive sensors can be used for height adjustments, but might melt on small cuts due to heat
-usable for cutting 20-160mm thick plates, even more with special torches
-new cutting torch with 3 inlets for cutting up to 70mm is 170 euro here, gas is way to expencive, 4 months ago oxygen tank fill was 120 Euro!
-probably forgot something...

More
05 Jun 2023 10:49 #272938 by phillc54
I think you may have given me this info many moons ago and I was going to have a look but it fell off my radar.

Is the flame manually lit or can it be lit automatically prior to each cut?
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
05 Jun 2023 13:06 #272940 by tommylight

Is the flame manually lit or can it be lit automatically prior to each cut?

Almost always manually, once at the start of work, and never shut off till work is done.
There might be automatic igniters, but i have yet to see one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds