Steppers work in Stepconf Wizard, but not in EMC2

More
24 May 2011 06:20 #10018 by Jacknife
I've been unable to find the answer to my issue in the forums, so I apologize in advance if I'm resurrecting an old topic.

I'm currently running EMC2 on a computer built with the official EMC2 Ubuntu 10.04 distribution image along with a 3-axis Zen Tool Works 7x7 machine. I'm able to successfully go through the Stepconf Wizard with each stepper motor appearing to respond normally to the manual tests within the utility. I'm able to launch the EMC2 AXIS GUI from the newly created shortcut and it appears to recognize the CNC machine from my saved configuration information. The homing switches respond normally, the spindle toggles power, and no error messages are being displayed in the EMC2 AXIS program. The only problem that I have is that although EMC2 AXIS indicates that it is moving the stepper motors for each axis, there is no physical movement whatsoever observed on the CNC machine itself. The steppers don't physically respond to the jog command either, although the coordinates on the AXIS GUI indicate that the steppers are turning normally. Whenever I go back into the Stepconf Wizard to modify my saved configuration, the steppers once again physically respond to the manual tests & jogs - so it appears that the issue is within EMC2 AXIS itself.

This is my first time working with a CNC machine so any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping that I've just overlooked a simple setting with EMC2 AXIS that is preventing the stepper motors from being physically activated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2011 06:59 #10019 by cncbasher
i'm not conversant with the wiring of the zenbot but here goes ...

so your saying once you pressed the machine on Icon , no steppers move although home switches work
have you try'd homing the machine first , do you get any errors now showing estop etc
any enable signals used , they could be reversed

More
24 May 2011 07:21 #10020 by Jacknife
I'm comfortable with the wiring of my CNC machine. I tested the connections many times during the build process, and it passed my final diagnostics with a multi-meter after the build was complete. I took my time going through the Stepconf Wizard and made sure that all six (min/max) limit switches and E-Stop had the correct trigger settings as well as the stepper motors moving in the correct direction for +/- directions. My CNC machine works perfectly while within the Stepconf Wizard with all three axis stepper motors responding to the corresponding tests.

When I enter EMC2 AXIS and toggle the virtual power button in the program there are no error messages being displayed. E-Stop as well as the limit switches will disable the device correctly. As soon as I entered EMC2 AXIS the first time after configuring my machine I tried to home each axis. It was at this point where I noticed the problem. The program shows the coordinates for each axis moving and will show a homing icon next to the coordinates if I press the associated limit switch however the stepper motor will never physically turn the axis screw during this process. The stepper motors also do not respond to the manual jog commands within the EMC2 AXIS program. I let the homing program run for over 10 minutes once and nothing happened.

I'll have to admit that this issue is very puzzling for me.

More
24 May 2011 10:27 #10024 by Rick G
Do your drivers need an enable signal?
If so have you tried inverting it?

Rick G

More
24 May 2011 11:38 #10025 by Jacknife
I'm not certain if my driver board requires an enable signal or not. I haven't been able to locate any documentation for the board. I have nema stepper motors with four leads, 2 for direction and the other two for stepper control.

I've looked through the Stepconf Wizard and EMC2 AXIS programs, but don't see where I would toggle the enable signal if needed.

More
24 May 2011 18:15 #10028 by BigJohnT
If you can jog while in the StepConf Wizard then you don't need an enable... If you can jog in the StepConf you should be able to jog in Axis as well.

Try a basic config without any inputs or outputs except the 3 axis...

John

More
24 May 2011 18:23 #10030 by Jacknife
I had tried a basic configuration without using the limit switches and E-Stop but it didn't work. I'll try making another config with only the X axis stepper configured to see if I can get any response from the CNC once I get home. Thanks!

More
24 May 2011 20:35 #10037 by andypugh
If I recall correctly, the stepconf wizard doesn't activate any amp-enable lines, whereas EMC2 does.
If your amp-enable pins are inverted then that might explain what you see.
(It isn't the first time this has happened, but I can't recall what the solution was that time either).

Feel free to post your HAL file as an attachment here, perhaps we can spot something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwoFeetDown

More
25 May 2011 00:58 #10048 by Jacknife
I'll have to check my driver controller board to see if it has any hidden ports/pins for an enable lead.

More
25 May 2011 08:02 #10054 by Jacknife
CNCbasher was kind enough to assist me offline with the configuration process. It appears that Pin 1 needed to be set to "Amplifier Enable" instead of "E-Stop Out" within my Stepconf Wizard, so my problem was due to my own idiotic mistake. Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone for helping me out on this!

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds