EMC2 Lathe turret tool changer problem

More
13 Nov 2009 04:16 #1115 by ZARF
To the Forum,
I am a new user of EMC2 and wish to use it on a Lathe. The Lathe conversion is mostly done and I am presently working with setting up the axises (successful) but I have a big problem with respect to the tool changer I built. The problem is I designed the tool post to function using the A axis for rotation of the turret and I used Y to lock the turret into position. I used Powerstation for CadCam work and I set up a tool change macro that is embedded into my G code when the G code is written. This set up with respect to the Lathe and tool turret worked flawlessly except the CNC controler software I was using previously had very few active G codes. That is the reason why I decided to use EMC2.

Much to my surprise when I ran my first file a prompt came up and said "Bad word Y" and depicted Y as the problem. So it is obivous to me that Y and A are not active in the Lathe Gui. Also, you can't see the axises Y and A at the top of the screen. I like the interface of EMC2 and the real time imaging of the ongoing process during machining. I hope that I can be able to have the Lathe interface accept the Y and A commands and I also prefer not to really see them on screen. If I can't get this solved, then the turret is rendered useless. I am hoping that a combination of work in HAL and in the INI file that I may be able to make these active but maintain the GUI as presented.

I went ahead and set up a 4 axis Mill GUI and configured it with the tool changer in mind and it worked ok except the real time viewing isn't correct and I believe some of the active G code is different for the Mill. (I am wanting to use this on a Lathe).

I also experienced what I thought was a bug and it is simply this. An integer -.0731 ended up in the X axis on a permanent basis representing Zero when Homed. It should read Zero but it always ends up -.0731.

So I saved my config files and threw everything in the trash and started over with EMC2 Lathe GUI currently and the above negative number is not there.

Anyway, any help in configuring for tool changing for the Lathe would be greatly appreciated. I have read through the manual and saw some of the possible solutions for auto turret tool changing but I really prefer my "dumb" turret as it worked really good using A and Y commands. Thanks.
The topic has been locked.
More
13 Nov 2009 12:12 #1116 by BigJohnT
Did you configure the Y axis in your ini file?

EMC stores offsets in a file so when you start up EMC any offsets not cleared will still be there.

Read this chapter for a more info.

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html//gcode_coo...ha:Coordinate-System

John
More
14 Nov 2009 03:24 #1119 by ZARF
Thank you Big John for answering so quickly. I plan to go through the off set issue actively and then will try to clear the number so that I can get familar with this part of the process.

However, I am still having a issue with the tool changer problem that I originally asked about. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me rephase my tool changer problem for my lathe. I am using the AXIS Lathe GUI but the G Code interperter filter will not allow me to use G Code with Y and A, it is important to me that these be accepted because my turret will not get the commands it needs for positioning (it is easy and convenient to use the two axises, Y and A, for these command moves). Is there a way for me to get around this problem. I know I can use the 4 axis stepper GUI as it does work but the real time viewing is schematicaly a milling machine and I prefer the single point tool lathe image that the AXIS Lathe GUI has.
Thanks.
More
14 Nov 2009 10:12 - 14 Nov 2009 10:18 #1124 by BigJohnT
I just noticed that you cross posted which is not needed and someone else answered your question

John
Last edit: 14 Nov 2009 10:18 by BigJohnT. Reason: user cross posted this topic so no need to continue this thread
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds