Using Emcrsh With Axis

More
27 Jan 2012 22:25 #17205 by spartan21
I have a simple 2-axis setup and have been working to get some sort of command-line remote access working. Emcrsh has been much more successful than axis-remote (thanks to dgarrett for the suggestion and initial help), but I am having two important issues.

First, I am having no problems opening .ngc files, but I am working primarily with Python scripts. I have tested a few Python scripts by opening them directly in Axis and running them there, so I know they work. But after I successfully open a Python file using emcrsh and then try to run it, Axis throws an error. I have gotten "Unknown word starting with e" and "Unknown word where unary operation could be." These errors perhaps indicate that emcrsh is trying to parse Python files as another file type (probably .ngc), which obviously wouldn't turn out well. Is it just impossible to run Python scripts via emcrsh?

To perhaps better indicate my process, the following is the series of emcrsh commands executed to the point of failure:
hello EMC x 1.1
set enable EMCTOO
set task_plan_init
set mode auto
set open /path/to/python.py
set run

My second issue regards emcrsh seizing up. After certain commands or errors (including the aforementioned Python error), emcrsh will become unresponsive. As in, I can type commands, but they won't be echoed back or executed. Another time this seizing up always happens is after the following:
hello EMC x 1.1
set enable EMCTOO
set estop off
set machine on

It seems unreasonable that I wouldn't be able to use the machine after turning it on, but I won't make any assumptions. Does any of this seem like typical behavior?

Thanks for reading this far, and thank you very much in advance for your help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2012 17:46 #17236 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Re:Using Emcrsh With Axis
Hi

See this thread and the workaround which seemed to prevent emcrsh crashes

www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/compo...=38&id=13940&limit=6

regards

More
28 Jan 2012 21:45 #17239 by spartan21
Replied by spartan21 on topic Re:Using Emcrsh With Axis
Thanks for the help, ArcEye! I still would love any advice on using Python with emcrsh, if anyone has any thoughts.

Time to create page: 0.242 seconds