Z Tool Touchoff Odd Behaviout

More
17 Oct 2013 19:18 - 17 Oct 2013 19:20 #40003 by NICKKINSMAN
Hi;

I recently upgraded to V2.5, and am trying to set my Z tool offsets on a lathe for mulitple tools in my 4-position changer. I am getting some odd behavior, very large offsets, which seem to be referencing the home position. I am touching off to the chuck face very near the travel limits. I have tried following the direction exactly for setting multiple tools.

Upon startup, I home axis, then load the tool I want to touch off with as Tn M6 G43. (G92 offsets are 0'd). I rapid down to the touch off point with a dowel get positioned. Everything still looks good, tool graphic is in the right relative position on the axis limits (very near the headstock limit as expected).

I have touch off to fixture selected as well. I then select touch off, Tool table. The tool jumps 18" down the table and ends up at the home spot, with a blue bullseye and G53 note on the screeen. When I look at the tool table it has -18.xxx" in the tool position Z offset. G53 shows the same on DRO tab. I have cleared the offset out of the table and tried again, but still get the same results.

Any ideas on what is going on here?

For reference, my tools are not necessarily in line 1, 2, 3 on the tool table, as I am matching my CAM programming descriptions. The tools I am setting to are T6 (RH Turning tool), T7 (LH Turning tool), T43 (cutoff tool). I also manually added the basic tool lines in the table beforehand with the frontangle, backangle, and nose radius, but did not enter anything in the offsets. The first 3 lines which default in the tool table are blank.

Thanks
Nick
Last edit: 17 Oct 2013 19:20 by NICKKINSMAN.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2013 20:50 #40007 by ArcEye
Hi

Can you post your tool table please.

regards

More
18 Oct 2013 00:00 #40022 by NICKKINSMAN
Will do, I'll post it tomorrow as a picture, as I don't have it online.

More
18 Oct 2013 03:14 #40027 by BigJohnT
You can just attach the file itself to a message.

JT

More
18 Oct 2013 19:13 #40036 by NICKKINSMAN
Replied by NICKKINSMAN on topic Tool Table Attached
OK, here is the tool table attached for review. I am attempting to line up tools 6, 7 & 42. This is as manually configured prior to attempting to set the tool offsets. When I got the obviously wrong offset with touchoff, I cleared it out in order to attempt it again, and finally left it cleared out as it was not right.

The process I was attempting was to start with the attached table configuration using the first tool in my lineup. Home, T6 M6 G43, select touch off to fixture, move to touch off point, then touch off the z (tool table) with a 0.375 dowel to face of chuck. I did not attempt to move the G53 coordinates anwywhere, as the process notes don't call for it. This gave me a Z offset of 18.xxx inches which put the graphic very close to the home position.

Thank you.

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds