Fullscreen (not just maximized) mode?

More
16 Nov 2013 14:21 #40854 by jpka
Hi!
I search for possibility to use Axis in full-screen mode. It it not maximized window. What i mean is like presing F11 in Firefox: Any system menu and window caption disappear. Is there any way to do this? If currently not, may i ask for feature request and how to do it?
I'm currently using old LinuxCNC 2.4 because i prefer not to touch machine when it work well; while i will update system immediately if latest version have fullscreen feature, but i not found any info about it.
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2013 20:26 #40860 by ArcEye
Hi

This is a linux windowing issue, nothing to do with Linuxcnc.

Alt F11 is the command you are looking for

regards

More
18 Nov 2013 01:48 #40902 by jpka
Hi! Alt+F11 not changes anything. Maybe you mean Alt+F10 ? It work, on Axis, as any other window, and of course it is Ubuntu-related, not LinuxCNC-related, but it is just maximizing function.
Please note, i search for fullscreen mode, not just maximizing. (Please try F11 in Firefox or Chrome browser)
Thanks

More
18 Nov 2013 02:01 #40903 by jpka
I am sorry, i found in very old articles that it can be really Alt+F11, and it's exactly fullscreen, but not works at all for me... Will search more.

More
18 Nov 2013 19:14 #40931 by ArcEye

I am sorry, i found in very old articles that it can be really Alt+F11, and it's exactly fullscreen, but not works at all for me... Will search more.

I am using Debian and lxdm with icewm, not the gnome crap that Ubuntu uses.

Alt F11 is a standard command for full screen, if you change your window manager to icewm, it will load 5 times quicker and that command will work.

regards

More
18 Nov 2013 20:38 - 18 Nov 2013 20:41 #40934 by BigJohnT

I am using Debian and lxdm with icewm, not the gnome crap that Ubuntu uses.

Alt F11 is a standard command for full screen, if you change your window manager to icewm, it will load 5 times quicker and that command will work.

regards

How do you change your window manager?

JT
Last edit: 18 Nov 2013 20:41 by BigJohnT.

More
18 Nov 2013 21:44 #40937 by ArcEye

How do you change your window manager?

Just fetch icewm and icewm-common with synaptic

You will then get an option in the log in screen / dialog to use icewm for that session.
You can make it default too.

There are no screen icons and you will need to edit /etc/X11/icewm/menu to add the items you want.
There is a program called ice-pref which can be used to set up the appearance, background, number of screens etc

I have been using it for years, both on Ubuntu and now Debian, it is way better than most other window managers, fast and light.

regards

More
19 Nov 2013 00:59 #40945 by BigJohnT
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

JT

More
24 Nov 2013 16:59 #41143 by jpka

Just fetch icewm and icewm-common with synaptic

Hi!
I still no have any success with fullscreening of Axis Ubuntu 10.04. What i find is only browsers, gedit, and terminal, can be fullscreened, but it is their internal functionality and hardly tied to F11 inside of these. No system command work.
So i install iceWM. It works. And Alt+F11 works well. BUT, remote desktop not work anymore. (I can't use machine directly). I use vncserver and vncwiever. Only i now see is empty gray screen with Terminal running, or crosshatched gray screen with 'X' cross mouse cursor, when i follow instruction in ~/.vnc/xstartup about 'uncomment the two following lines for normal desktop...'.
Any idea or success story how to use remote desktop with iceWM please? I'm not limited with vncserver; other working remote desktop programs are welcome.

More
24 Nov 2013 18:27 #41144 by ArcEye
Hi

I can't remember if I have used vnc with icewm, probably because I have used icewm for a long time.

As I only run linux machines, I find I can do what I want with ssh -X (ie connecting with ssh using graphic pipe) and don't use vnc for anything.

It is not only possible, it is the recommended window manager in this debian wiki, because it is so light weight
www.debian-administration.org/articles/135

This is a youtube tutorial on doing it, albeit in German

I have read other posts re problems using it with vnc on Ubuntu, one was down to colour depth and screen settings.
You may have to search your exact problems / software etc if these don't help

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpka

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds