Fullscreen (not just maximized) mode?

More
28 Nov 2013 16:12 #41200 by jpka
Hi! Thank you so much for explaining.
I have very few success (around 5-10%) today.
Main problem is all iceWM-related stuff, available in search results, including wiki, etc, is related to very advanced and experienced people.
I ended up with lose my fight with xrandr, which can't set needed display resolution (system does not have monitor). Without this i can't test suggested article about x11vnc, but it itself looks to be working hopefully. (in other words, i just need to set absolutely hardly fixed 800x600 for iceWM). But it all is far away from LinuxCNC topic. I will continue my fight around some weeks more.
So if i understand correctly, it is never to be possible in future to add Alt+F11 function in Axis just like browsers, terminal, and gedit have F11 internal?
Thank you, and sorry for my strange and novice questions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2013 16:59 #41201 by ArcEye

So if i understand correctly, it is never to be possible in future to add Alt+F11 function in Axis just like browsers, terminal, and gedit have F11 internal?

I am sure it would be possible, but as it is a function that should be avaiable with any decent window manager, why spend time writing it into an application.

The crux of this is not whether it is possible to fullscreen Axis, it is that you cannot display at the proper resolution via VNC and are desperately trying anything which gives more screen space.
I take it you have tried the things in here
stackoverflow.com/questions/15816/changi...vnc-session-in-linux

The other option that occurs is to attach a monitor to your remote system and set up the screen resolutions.
Thereafter the X server should use them, irrespective of whether there is a monitor attached?

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpka

More
28 Nov 2013 19:36 #41207 by jpka
Hi! As an intermediate result, i try to describe my setup and my first steps.
I have 1600*1200 display at main PC (also acts as vnc client). I have loopback 75 ohm resistor to emulate vga display presence (pins 2,7 of DB15) at LinuxCNC PC (also vnc server); without this, neither BIOS or Ubuntu see monitor present, and thus not work. When resistor in place (thus no EDID), Ubuntu loads in 1024*768 mode: i see this because i disconnect loopback and connect vga cable *after* it boots. Anyway, if i boot Ubuntu with display connected, it boots 1600*1200, i then via display setting tune it to 800 by 600, or other i need, and it stays so after reboot. Thus no problem with vnc, i just install vnc4server on it and viola.
IceWM is different. It not show anything when booted with loopback then changed to monitor after boot. Booted with monitor, it stuck with only 1600*1200. Cannot be changed by its display settings applet. BUT, after i run something in its control panel, desktop color changes to ubuntu's for unknown reason, (probably some gnome's stuff loaaded?), but more important that the display applet becomes work, BUT STILL only for one session. It can't remember my resolution. Booted again with display, it unfortunately shows 1600 by 1200. xrandr's listing shows only 1600by1200 available. Now i'm fighting with xrandr, and feed it with different xorg.conf's, but no success, thus i'm think it is not xrandr problem...

More
28 Nov 2013 21:27 #41209 by andypugh

I have loopback 75 ohm resistor to emulate vga display presence (pins 2,7 of DB15) at LinuxCNC PC (also vnc server); without this, neither BIOS or Ubuntu see monitor present, and thus not work.

I have a bare motherboard in the corner of the room with no monitor at all which I use for LinuxCNC development. I have no difficulty VNC-ing into it, (though I use ssh -Y more frequently). It certainly has no difficulty booting up with no monitor.

More
28 Nov 2013 21:45 #41210 by jpka
It is shame on me, but i even can't get 'ssh -Y' working even on ordinary Ubuntu. I even can't imagine how graphic can work via command line terminal. I can use just 'ssh' but it is text mode. I can see how vnc works. But never see 'ssh -Y'. It is mentioned many times in search result, but no any step-by-step howto to get graphics via it. Only i can see via ssh -Y is server's text-mode command line... I am very sorry.

More
28 Nov 2013 22:11 #41212 by andypugh

It is shame on me, but i even can't get 'ssh -Y' working even on ordinary Ubuntu.

If you are working in a terminal window on the LinuxCNC machine and type "linuxcnc" then a GUI window opens on the Ubuntu machine.

If you are in a terminal window on a Mac / PC / Other Ubuntu machine, logged into your LinuxCNC machien via "ssh -Y" and you type "linuxcnc" then a GUI window opens on the _local_ machine, but running code on the remote window (the network only carries the X-windows data to create the GUI).

You need an X11 windowing system on the local machine. XQuartz on Mac, I don't know what it is with Windows.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpka

More
29 Nov 2013 00:26 #41213 by jpka
It work! Thank you! :-)
While it (probably) not solve the problem in topic, it is anyway extremely important to know! And it really can make any VNC almost unneeded ... except cases when broken connection or hanging up of local PC should not affect milling job. If i correctly understand, using 'ssh -X', and local failure occurs, there is remote (LinuxCNC) PC will continue its job, but no way to connect to running instance of Axis and show its GUI anymore, only kill it and run again?

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds