Manual tool probe status

More
18 Nov 2013 03:21 #40905 by somenewguy
So looking thru recent posts, there is a lot of information. I want to verify that the current release (2.5.3) supports a functioning tool touch off routine. As in you can manually replace the tool in the collet in the middle of a .ngc file, and the machine will touchoff on a switch/sensor etc on the bed and set a new tool length offset automagically. IT looks like hacks were needed to let you touchoff manually, but it is unclear if touching off automatically was fully functional. It seems like yes. I am gonna build my touchoff switch before the end of the week I swear!

also as a side question. I am looking at different pros and cons about sign convention for Z axis stuff like tool offset etc, but if anyone wants to share an opinion on the matter that would be cool. I have a little taig mill, no indexing end mills or anything good like that so nothign ever goes in teh same way twice, and I am not about to buy a setting fixture. So based on what I've read I think I have made up my mind, but opinions are freee and I can never get enough of them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Nov 2013 03:24 #40906 by somenewguy
Replied by somenewguy on topic Manual tool probe status
also for those of you looking to add switches to your machines, these guys are very cheap, about a $1, and extreemly repeatable to <.1mm and have a small amount of overtravel protection and have both NO and NC contacts. They make up all my homing switches and soon my tool probe. They also use those conveninet mini terminals, .12 spades iirc.
Part number: SS-3GL13PT

More
18 Nov 2013 20:30 #40933 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Manual tool probe status
Here is my tutorial on tool touch off.

gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/g-code/gen05.html

I've seen versions of tool touch off before and have mixed feelings about them on a machine that uses collets to hold tools. Touching off to the top of the material with a dowel is so much easier than building a touch off system but not as cool so I understand the want to do that. As for changing tools in the middle of G code my opinion on that is split the G code up. If you have to be there to change the tool you start Op2.ngc after you touch off...

JT

More
20 Nov 2013 11:10 #40991 by somenewguy
Replied by somenewguy on topic Manual tool probe status
due to my rubbish "inspection" skills and techniques, it is much easier for me to keep track of one file per part and know "yes this code works" or "no this code is still in the works" than to keep track of several files per part, and I get to see it all in front of me. When I try using folders I end out forking the heck out of my project by accident and its nasty. Still working on the 'perfect' system and if it gives me an excuse to work on skynet, err I mean make my mill more self suffecient, than yay to me, I will take that oppurtonity!

mostly this will be used for drilling holes, as the only time I find myself changing tools often in one part is to go from drill to drill to drill, and touching them off automagically sure will be nicer. I almost bought a dowel pin for doing this, as drill bits are a bit more difficult to touch off than mills using other methods, at least so far in my experience.

Thank you for the link, and double thank you for dating and listing a rev on your writeup. Very painful when I find a write up or tutorial on the web and have no idea how up to date it is or what version of the software it was written for lol. I took the chance and tried writing my own touch off code, just to see if I could. It has yet to be tested but I think it should work! was surpised I didn't hit any walls, but like I said, I have yet to verify it so I am really just blowing smoke.

More
20 Nov 2013 20:49 #41012 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Manual tool probe status
When I have multiple files for a part I have a description of the operation in the header and name the files the same with Opn for the sequence. For example Base Op1.ngc, Base Op2.ngc this way I know which one to run first. Tool change and touch off can be done in G code using Tn M6 G43 then have the next lines of your G code probe and update the tool table. You might also use a G28 before the tool change to move to a preset position like over your probe switch. The thing to take into account is the material top and your touch off location...

JT

More
21 Nov 2013 04:04 #41046 by Mike_Eitel
Replied by Mike_Eitel on topic Manual tool probe status
Hi
Im using a wireless tool hight meassuring device, called xhc-nc02.
It has two signals
1. the probe and a
2. Emergency signal when too deep.

Nice device.
Mike

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds