large program - slow response and following error

More
17 May 2014 01:26 #46992 by jim_s
I've got an inefficiently-large program (16 copies of a small, but intricate part), which I realized I could/should break into subroutines w/ a fixture offset for each, but its what I generated with my CAM tool (CamBam, using its nesting feature), and was hoping to just run it as-is, at least until I get any kinks worked out. The program ends up at about 22k lines, and I was surprised to see that when the program is loaded (and it takes a bit of time to load), manual jogging is slow and unresponsive (long pause needed between incremental jogs, continuous jogs run a very long time with just a quick hit of the PgDn key, etc), and in running the program, I got a following error, doing a G0 at a speed and over a distance that is normally not a problem. (Just did the same thing numerous times w/ a shorter program loaded, w/o any problem, so I'm assuming that the following error is related to the large program and the effect that seems to have on the responsiveness?)

I'm running a standard LinuxCNC Ubuntu install (Lucid Lynx 10.04, Axis 2.4.3).

Is this typical behavior, that the system should become unresponsive with a large nc program loaded? Is there anything I can do or adjust (aside from the obvious of cutting down the program size through offsets) in EMC or Axis or the OS, to better handle large nc programs?

Thanks for any assistance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2014 03:22 #46997 by emcPT
I am probably saying an incorrect information but a increase of RAM would probably help.
Please take in consideration that I am replying without any knowledge or experience, but since it is a simple test to preform...

More
17 May 2014 03:40 #47000 by micges
What hardware are you using?

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds