AXIS with EMCO Compact 5

More
26 May 2014 03:57 - 26 May 2014 04:34 #47321 by krlynn
I have 2.5.4 installed without a lathe connected and can run the included pawn program with the Sureline lathe configuration loaded but not the EMCO Compact 5 configuration. EStop won't toggle off, so the play/run buttons aren't active.

Any thoughts or suggestions? It's probably something obvious, but I'm clueless.

Thanks for any help.
Last edit: 26 May 2014 04:34 by krlynn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2014 15:45 #47333 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic AXIS with EMCO Compact 5
Hi

I have 2.5.4 installed without a lathe connected and can run the included pawn program with the Sureline lathe configuration loaded but not the EMCO Compact 5 configuration. EStop won't toggle off, so the play/run buttons aren't active.

Had me scratching my head until I realised you must mean the config that you created for your Emco Compact 5 lathe, I have never seen one in the configs

zip your config directory and attach it and we can compare it to the Sherline config and hopefully see where the difference lies

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: krlynn

More
26 May 2014 20:34 #47346 by krlynn
Replied by krlynn on topic AXIS with EMCO Compact 5

Had me scratching my head until I realised you must mean the config that you created for your Emco Compact 5 lathe, I have never seen one in the configs

zip your config directory and attach it and we can compare it to the Sherline config and hopefully see where the difference lies

Thanks for the reply. I can spell "config", but that's about as far as I'd get. The files I have installed were downloaded from here .

More
26 May 2014 21:32 #47353 by ArcEye
It looks like the configs that Sam came up with for his Emco lathes

The first thing that confuses me, is that you say it works with the Sherline config.

The Emco config is for 4 phase steppers and the standard Sherline config is for 3 phase. The pin connections are totally different and the Emco config uses stepgen type 6, whereas the Sherline uses type 0.

What steppers and drivers have you got on your lathe?

regards

More
26 May 2014 22:36 - 26 May 2014 22:39 #47359 by krlynn

It looks like the configs that Sam came up with for his Emco lathes

The first thing that confuses me, is that you say it works with the Sherline config.

The Emco config is for 4 phase steppers and the standard Sherline config is for 3 phase. The pin connections are totally different and the Emco config uses stepgen type 6, whereas the Sherline uses type 0.

What steppers and drivers have you got on your lathe?

My lathe came from Sam, and I watched him turn a handle on it running linuxcnc with, presumably, the same config file I have loaded. The lathe itself is in virtually new condition and unmodified as far as I know. But since it isn't connected, that shouldn't make any difference.

My post was probably confusing. I don't have any lathe connected to my computer yet. I'm working on learning how to write a program and run it first. I can load the EMCO Compact 5 PC config and open the lathe-pawn sample file, edit code, etc., with no problem, but the EStop switch won't toggle. I thought maybe that was because I don't have a lathe connected and communicating with the program. So I tried loading the Sherline lathe configuration to see if I could run the lathe-pawn program on it, and I can (EStop toggles on and off), which makes me think my inability to run it with the EMCO 5 configuration loaded isn't caused by the absence of a connected lathe. That said, I believe I heard or read somewhere that the EMCO Compact 5 has some kind of bi-directional communication with the controller, so I suppose that could make a difference.

Thanks again for the replies.
Last edit: 26 May 2014 22:39 by krlynn.

More
26 May 2014 23:05 #47362 by ArcEye
Right, now I understand.

You are trying to run a real config as a sim

You got away with it on the Sherline config, probably because there are no limit or home switches or estop
The Emco one would not run because it has more IO connected and you do not have any hardware connected.

Just run a sim, lathe.ini under the axis folder is probably best.

That is all you need to play with writing programmes, it will look just the same as your machine will when connected and it will simulate axis movement without the need for a connected machine.

regards

More
27 May 2014 00:07 #47365 by krlynn

Right, now I understand.

You are trying to run a real config as a sim

You got away with it on the Sherline config, probably because there are no limit or home switches or estop
The Emco one would not run because it has more IO connected and you do not have any hardware connected.

Just run a sim, lathe.ini under the axis folder is probably best.

That is all you need to play with writing programmes, it will look just the same as your machine will when connected and it will simulate axis movement without the need for a connected machine.

Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.306 seconds