Convert working Axis Machine to a Sim

More
01 Sep 2016 15:24 #79836 by fc60
Greetings,

LinuxCNC has many helpful SIM configurations.

However, is it possible to edit a line or two in my working Smithy CNC Gecko configuration so that I can test programs on my laptop?

I have an A-axis rotary table that is not offered in the standard SIM configuration choices.

Cheers,

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2016 17:32 #79852 by Todd Zuercher
If your config just uses a parallel port you can use sim_parport to set up a simulation.

I'm not sure exactly if your using other hardware.

More
02 Sep 2016 15:41 #79910 by fc60
Greetings Todd,

You have lost me completely.

I have a dedicated computer attached to my Smithy 1240 CNC and is connected to the breakout board via a parallel port cable.

On a separate computer, I have loaded the same LinuxCNC that is on my Smithy, 2.5.4

I am relearning APT programming and the use of a Simulator on the remote machine is very helpful.

What is "sim_parport"?

Cheers,

Dave

More
02 Sep 2016 15:58 #79911 by Todd Zuercher
sim_parport is a hal component that can be used to simulate a parallel port for building and testing a config without any real hardware.
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/sim_parport.9.html
If you follow the instructions and load the sim_parport with the names=parport.0 simply replacing the old loadrt hal_parport line in your hal file with the loadrt sim_parport names=parport.0

You can then use the "fake" input and output pins, to simulate i/o that would normally be required to run your machine.

Have you tried just running your config on the other computer as is? You might be able to just make it work by simply disabling the homing for each axis in the ini file.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds