Lathe tool change & tool length setup

More
24 Oct 2016 21:31 #82014 by vmihalca
Hi guys,

I've recently finished converting my lathe to cnc and now I'm learning gcode and how to operate linux cnc.
I have a quick change tool post, and 3 tool holders. What I don't know now is how to make linuxcnc aware of the tool length.
Lets say have a steel bar chucked of 20mm diameter and 40mm length. I would assume that for X axis, I have to jog until it touches the stock and then specify somewhere that the tip of the tool is 10mm away from the center of the work piece.
The same for Z axis.
I might have got this wrong but I remember some videos where this seemed to be the process.
If someone could explain me how to handle this step by step, I would be grateful! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2016 15:50 #82088 by andypugh
This is how I do it.

1) Tool 1 is defined as my reference tool. That always has tool-table offsets of zero.
2) For any other tool I take a test cut or jog to just touch the work if I can't afford a test cut, then measure the work and use the "touch off tool" button, entering the new diameter. (you need to enter the radius if you are in radius mode, of course).

That's basically it. You might want to edit the tool table itself to set the tool diameter number, useful if using tool diameter correction for angles and curves. (not important for straight facing or boring).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds