AXIS SIMULATOR ON DEBIAN 8 JESSIE 64 BIT.

More
07 Nov 2016 15:00 - 09 Nov 2016 12:37 #82544 by grump
Hi guys. A bit of a long winded post but some of you may want to try it out for yourselves or not.

I don't know about you but I like to play with my stuff and just installed a new ssd in my lappy.
For the sake of quick and pushing buttons I put a debian net install usb in and booted into the install process.
I ended up with the new 64 bit Debian 8 Jessie OS with KDE and Mate desktops, can't stand that Unity and have previously had issues with Gnome and KDE on the same system.

Although I have a bootable LinuxCNC usb I wondered if I could install a sim on this new pretty and fast system I have just built?

Not realising I was following outdated destructions I followed and changed them where necessary to this end.
Dont give me credit that goes to the original author here.
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Build_A_Simulator_Manually

But these are the exact steps I took to get it working.
I used aptitude as I have recently been told it is better at resolving depenencies than apt-get, I don't know if that is true but it works for me thus far.
Copy and paste the highlighted text using su or sudo preceding my commands.

aptitude update
aptitude dist-upgrade
aptitude install git-core gitk git-gui

Install git.

aptitude install git

Intall dpkg-dev.

aptitude install dpkg-dev

Make a directory, I called mine git in the home directory.

mkdir git

Go into the git directory and grab the LinuxCNC source.

cd git
git clone git://git.linuxcnc.org/git/linuxcnc.git linuxcnc

Go to the debian folder and configure

cd linuxcnc/debian
./configure sim

Go back to the linuxcnc folder and check dependencies

cd ..
dpkg-checkbuilddeps

At this point I had some more installing to do, yours may differ but here's mine and to my surprise the debian jessie main repository had them all.

g++ libfreetype6-dev debhelper libudev-dev libxenomai-dev tcl8.6-dev tk8.6-dev libreadline-gplv2-dev asciidoc dblatex dvipng graphviz groff source-highlight texlive-extra-utils texlive-font-utils texlive-fonts-recommended texlive-lang-cyrillic texlive-lang-french texlive-lang-german texlive-lang-polish texlive-lang-spanish texlive-latex-recommended w3c-linkchecker xsltproc python-dev python-tk libxmu-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libgl1-mesa-swx11-dev libgtk2.0-dev autoconf libboost-python-dev libmodbus-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev libfreetype6-dev autoconf

I ran

aptitude update

again and 3 of them updated so you may want to do same.
I now have the all clear from dpkg-checkbuilddeps to continue.

cd src
./autogen.sh
./configure --enable-simulator
make
sudo make setuid

This took a minute or two and when finished I clicked on the linuxcnc icon in the scripts file and it sprang into life, I now have a working simulator of LinuxCNC/AXIS Version 2.8.0~pre1 on my new system.
Created a desktop shortcut and it works every time so far.

Having achieved this major milestone for me, I am now a bit played out and want to build a copy of my own machine to simulate?
I see no stepconf wizard to create one.
Do I simply copy my existing config files into this setup or can somebody point in the right direction to acheive this?
I will continue my playing in the wait for an answer as now I have it documented it will be a breeze to follow these destructions as replication on my lappy.
Last edit: 09 Nov 2016 12:37 by grump.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2016 18:30 #82560 by Todd Zuercher
I think you can install sim for Jessie from buildbot.
buildbot.linuxcnc.org/

More
07 Nov 2016 21:28 #82570 by grump
Quite right I can and have installed sim for Jessie from buildbot.
But I only ever got version 2.61 with fewer configs and no 4 axis config.
Plus it don't work on my lappy, not sure but I believe a conflict between usb 3 and parport which I don't have.
Works on my desktop though with older Jessie but it's not what I want.
Thanks for the heads up.

More
08 Nov 2016 13:33 #82583 by Todd Zuercher
2.6-sim, 2.6-rtpreempt, 2.7-sim, 2.7-rtpreempt, master-sim, and master-rtpreempt are all current and up to date for Jessie on buildbot. (only the RTAI versions are stuck in the past)
buildbot.linuxcnc.org/dists/jessie/2.7-sim/binary-amd64/

More
09 Nov 2016 12:51 - 09 Nov 2016 12:54 #82607 by grump
And so they are but still don't work on my lappy whereas the git pull does for some reason and gives me LinuxCNC/AXIS Version 2.8.0~pre1.
If nobody uses it there's no point in putting it there and no progress will be made.

I wiped the ssd off and did a new install this time without the Mate and no Debian desktop, just the debian base and KDE desktop (doesn't save any or much space but I like to play).

I did have to install a few more dependencies when I got to the "./configure --enable-simulator" stage but the installer told me what to do without issue so I can say this write up definitely works and very well if you follow the onscreen instructions along with this script.

As for the config I selected one of the sim machines closest to mine and altered the .ini file to suit my layout and I am extremely happy with the results I have obtained.

Thanks to all who contribute to making this wonderful LINUXCNC the best thing since sliced bread.
And to the GIT HUB I even got Heeks cnc working vi the git which I could never do before but that's a different matter.
Last edit: 09 Nov 2016 12:54 by grump.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds