Spindle index

More
19 Jul 2017 12:29 #96055 by russkinch
Replied by russkinch on topic Spindle index
that sounds good and for what it costs I would definately take a chance in making one up, even if it did not work. I see my old post said 60 slot, this was actually changed to 45 due to space limitations. should not be a problem though?? The one you linked from Ebay is exactly what i have got. on the single index slot it works a charm, mut on the 45 i dont think it can read fast enough.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2017 12:34 #96056 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Spindle index
I think you need to get a 'scope on it. A real one.

It seems odd that it would work with a single short slot but not with a series of them. This might indicate a problem with the driver circuit, maybe a too-weak pull-up.

It might be worth tracing the circuit on that board to see if it makes sense, but getting the component values might be hard, unless the markings are still visible? (SMT caps seem to often be unmarked)

More
19 Jul 2017 12:37 #96057 by russkinch
i am running the sensors with an external 5v power supply, not from the pc motherboard like i have read some do. on the D0 pin with a multimeter i am getting just over 8V. not sure if this is correct. i will try swapping the two boards over in case i have a genuinely poked board. i will post my results after lunch. this is the only thing holding up an otherwise excellent build that i have thoroughly enjoyed. but this is making me loose even more hair!!

More
19 Jul 2017 12:42 #96058 by andypugh

i am running the sensors with an external 5v power supply, not from the pc motherboard like i have read some do.

Ah! Don't do that :-)

The encoder pulse signal needs to be referenced to the same 0V as the parallel port. All bets are off if the opto is powered from a separate floating supply.

Chop the end off of a USB cable and use the red and black wires for the 5V then connect that to the control PC. You might well find that everything suddenly works an awful lot better.

More
19 Jul 2017 13:37 #96066 by russkinch
aaargh.....light bulb. thats what is so great about this forum. this was the same issue i had with this board to start. the cinesse manual mentioned nothing about connecting a usb cable to the board, just a 24v one. when i connected the usb cable, the board sprang to life. i will try this this afternoon and fingers crossed

More
19 Jul 2017 13:53 #96072 by andypugh
You can probably take 5V off of the breakout board, then.

More
19 Jul 2017 14:59 #96079 by russkinch
right, just got +5v and 0v from BOB - same as before, rpm gets to 275rpm then drops to 0. i was reading about a filer on the rpm??

More
19 Jul 2017 15:01 #96080 by andypugh
I thought we had found the problem there.

Does Halscope stop seeing the A-phase changing at 275 rpm?

Do you have any way to look at the actual incoming signal?

More
19 Jul 2017 15:34 #96081 by russkinch
A phase on hal scope is flat line. Index is multiple square lines (good). I was doing some other digging on hal meter. spindle-cmd-rps gives a negative number and spindle-cmd-rps-abs gives a positive. my spindle-position is increasing which is good. spindle-velocity-feedback-rps says 4.53..... but rpm says 275. Is any of this making sense? I have a digital multi meter, the hal meter and hal scope. basic knowledge of wiring but not electronics. thanks so far for putting up with my my questions

More
19 Jul 2017 16:01 #96086 by andypugh

A phase on hal scope is flat line. Index is multiple square lines (good).

Is the Halscope running in the base thread or the servo thread?

Is the A-phase a flat line at all spindle speeds or only when above 275 rpm?

Is there any evidence that the A-phase has ever worked?

I was doing some other digging on hal meter. spindle-cmd-rps gives a negative number and spindle-cmd-rps-abs gives a positive.

Are you using M3 or M4 to start the spindle?

spindle-velocity-feedback-rps says 4.53..... but rpm says 275.

That sounds correct, allowing for reading it by eye.

Time to create page: 0.366 seconds