Mouse wheel in scrollbars and File browser

More
03 Jul 2017 09:02 #95292 by cptX
Hi guys, I have used the AXIS Interface several times in real CNC wood work and I would love to see a way with the mouse wheel:
1. To scroll in the file browser when searching for a file
2. To scroll on the scrollbars of feed override, jog override etc...

Both of them are very simple and easily applicable enhancements, and I was really surprised to see them missing.
In the majority of the linux applications both these functions are ready out of the box. Actually by using Linux Mint and Ubuntu for several years I consider the above scrolling functions as default and I'm frustrated every time I move the mouse wheel and see nothing happening.
Is there any way to activate these or would it be possible to be added as a future request in a new release?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2017 11:50 #95386 by andypugh
Axis uses Tcl / Tk so the answer might lie here:
wiki.tcl.tk/3893

(Axis consists of two files, one in tcl and one in Python. You can edit both types of files and restart to see the changes without any need to recompile)

I would be surprised if the Axis developer wanted to make any enhancements, it was written about 10 years ago. But if you can work out how to do it then a pull-request on Github might well get a favourable response.

More
06 Jul 2017 04:50 #95423 by cptX
Hi Andypugh, thanks for your response.

Interesting option, so you think just by changing configurations in some tcl/tk files I'll manage to pass the mouse wheel movements as scroll events? Never used tcl language before. Compilation will not be necessary?

Eitherway what seems surprising to me is why nobody else thought this would be a useful feature. Am I the only one?
Why do you think that the developer will not be interested in implementing this functionality? New versions of Axis come out all the time, right?

More
06 Jul 2017 15:07 #95435 by andypugh

Interesting option, so you think just by changing configurations in some tcl/tk files I'll manage to pass the mouse wheel movements as scroll events?

I think so. The interactions between mice and GUI items are controlled by the window manager and the items themselves, in general, not by the code that uses them.

Never used tcl language before. Compilation will not be necessary?

Tcl is an interpreted language, so no, you do not need to recompile. Python is also an interpreted language.

Why do you think that the developer will not be interested in implementing this functionality? New versions of Axis come out all the time, right?

It's just that i has been a long time, and he has probably found some other parts of linuxCNC to interest him now. I would assume that if _his_ mouse had a wheel then he would have added the facility.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds