Adding fonts to the Truetype-Tracer in AXIS

More
29 Apr 2018 16:40 - 29 Apr 2018 19:05 #109808 by mcbirch
Relatively new to using LinuxCNC and AXIS. I am very much a Linux newbie. I have a project that I would like to use the Truetype-Tracer program in AXIS for but I would like to use a different font but I can't seem to get it to work with anything but a few of the fonts it came with. It there some trick to adding more fonts and will it only work with particular fonts? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

ETA: So I found that some of, but not all, of the other fonts in other directories in the install will work.

The issue I am realizing is that no matter what font I use it is always going to trace around the outside of the letters. I think I might have to find another program as I want something that will generate single stroke characters not tracing around the letters if that makes any sense.
Last edit: 29 Apr 2018 19:05 by mcbirch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2018 20:44 #109828 by tommylight
It would help if you could tell us more about what machine you'r using and what exactly are you trying to achieve.
Truetype-tracer is just that a tracer so it does trace the outline.

More
29 Apr 2018 21:29 #109832 by mcbirch
I have a Tiag Micro Mill CNC conversion. I picked it up used with a dead computer and in need of a lot of rewiring. I rewired most of it and hook up an old PC and installed LinuxCNC. It never had home switches so I am hoping to add those soon and if I can manage it a jog wheel for quick and simple manual jobs.

As for the engraving I am mostly looking to engrave text into projects primarily aluminum and plastics but the occasional mild steel piece might be engraved. Currently I have been playing with using 30 deg and 60 deg engraving tools on 1/8 shanks in it. The reason for the single stroke font it much of my projects need small lettering. When the letter get much smaller than .2 inch tall the Truetype-Tracer sort of make a mess out of the lettering even with a 30 deg tip trying to capture all the outline of a font when simple letters are all I need.

More
30 Apr 2018 01:54 #109841 by phillc54

More
30 Apr 2018 03:27 #109845 by mcbirch
That F-Engrave looks very promising. I am downloading it and going to play with it. Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds