Linux Froze In The Middle of A Part???

More
18 Sep 2018 17:26 #117724 by fc60
Greetings Andy,

Before I embrace major surgery on my machine, I had a thought.

I recently started adding G64 P0.001 to my programs. Prior to this, it defaulted to G61.

The machine crashes in what appears to be a G02 or G03 command.

Is it possible the G64 P0.001 is too fine and it is "confusing" the computer?

I have searched for G64 parameter limits with no success. i.e. what is the minimum and maximum value?

What happens if one programs a G64 P0.00001 ? I must add, that I am using Imperial units, INCH.

With kind regards,

David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2018 16:38 #117751 by andypugh

Is it possible the G64 P0.001 is too fine and it is "confusing" the computer?

I would say "no". A test would alnswer the question, but if the crash isn't reproducible then that is hard to do.

The numbers are all double-precision floating-point, so there are something like 15 significant figures of precision to play with.

More
26 Sep 2018 00:20 - 26 Sep 2018 01:33 #117981 by fc60
Greetings,

Things have become worse.

The computer shuts down and on reboot, I get an invalid boot sector.

Bought a a replacement hard drive and installed LinuxCNC Debian. Debian creates an error message that it does not recognise my CPU. Also, the splash says it is Debian i686. I have an i586 (32 Bit).

While in Debian, I cannot access the Update Manager. I put in my password and the window disappears.

Tried to log on to LinuxCNC Forum via Ice Weasel; but, clicking on search kills the application.

Found a CD with LinuxCNC Ubuntu 10.04. Installed okay; but, update manager says software no longer supported!

What are my options? It seems my CPU is recognised by Ubuntu. Can someone point me to a link to download a Ubuntu LinuxCNC that is supported?

With kind regards,

David
Last edit: 26 Sep 2018 01:33 by fc60.

More
27 Sep 2018 12:46 #118046 by andypugh
You can run the latest released version of linuxCNC on 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) so I would suggest testing that first.

Maybe it is time for a whole new (possibly second hand) PC?

More
18 Oct 2018 23:33 #119034 by fc60
Greetings,

The machine has been running fine since my last plea for help.

I suspect a bad EIDE data cable as I totally removed the EIDE hard drive and installed an SATA drive that uses a completely different data connector and power connector. (The old data and power cable is custom made by Smithy, the machine's distributor.)

I have ordered a new adapter board that allows the use of a 2 1/2" EIDE drive with the "normal" EIDE data cable of which I have some spares.

I am glad that the machine is running again; but, it would be nice to know exactly what it was that I "fixed"

All in all, a good learning experience. I installed the operating system software (UBUNTU) at least five times and upgraded to LinuxCNC 2.5.5 from 2.5.4.

I also learned that I only needed my old *.ini and *.hal files to restore all my settings.

Cheers,

Dave

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds