gcode scrolling in axis

More
12 Aug 2018 15:35 #115965 by gmouer
I've been using axis for quite a while but have one thing that keeps giving me issues. That is the scrolling in the gcode window. I read, and seen, in the axis wiki, that if a code line is selected in the gcode window the automatic scrolling page to page in the window stops.

At times I have selected / highlighted a code line and then want the window to return to scrolling page to page later but cannot un-highlight the code line to re-enable automatic page scrolling.

Hopefully someone can tell me how to re enable auto scrolling page to page in the gcode window after a line has been previously selected/highlighted. The method for doing this should be added to the axis wiki.

Thanks.
George

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2018 20:59 #116221 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic gcode scrolling in axis
The wiki is maintained by users like yourself. Including a link to where you read this might help.

I'm not able to reproduce the behavior you describe.

The documents should be your go to place for information. The only documented behavior for selecting a line is to right click and pick run from here.

JT

More
17 Aug 2018 21:05 - 17 Aug 2018 21:06 #116222 by gmouer
Replied by gmouer on topic gcode scrolling in axis
Its pretty easy to duplicate, a couple of my friends complain about the same thing.

John, I know your normal response is a link to a document, BUT some of us actually search and read those documents BEFORE asking here. As you say, the only documented behavior is the right click....

I have to believe there is a way to regain scrolling in that window, its just not documented. If not, well.... there should be a way to return from neverland.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2018 21:06 by gmouer.

More
17 Aug 2018 22:30 #116223 by curtisa
Replied by curtisa on topic gcode scrolling in axis
I can reproduce it:

1. Load a Gcode file into Axis. Even the default 'LinuxCNC' demonstration one will do.
2. Home and touch off as per normal
3. Start the program. The brown line highlight will start advancing through the Gcode listing, auto-scrolling as it goes.
4. Left-click on any line of gcode as it runs. The line will highlight grey.
5. At this point the brown line highlight will continue advancing through the listing but auto-scrolling will stop at the line highlighted where the user left-clicked. Nothing appears to be able to resume auto-scrolling to catch up with the brown 'running' cursor.

The only way I can see to restore auto-scrolling is to stop the Gcode program and restart it from the beginning.

More
18 Aug 2018 01:24 #116229 by gmouer

I can reproduce it:

1. Load a Gcode file into Axis. Even the default 'LinuxCNC' demonstration one will do.
2. Home and touch off as per normal
3. Start the program. The brown line highlight will start advancing through the Gcode listing, auto-scrolling as it goes.
4. Left-click on any line of gcode as it runs. The line will highlight grey.
5. At this point the brown line highlight will continue advancing through the listing but auto-scrolling will stop at the line highlighted where the user left-clicked. Nothing appears to be able to resume auto-scrolling to catch up with the brown 'running' cursor.

The only way I can see to restore auto-scrolling is to stop the Gcode program and restart it from the beginning.

You got it ! Very easy to reproduce. I tried about everything, restarting from beginning is the only way, or reload the code. That is not a option if you are a hour into a long program! Hard to believe this hasn't come up before and been fixed.

More
18 Aug 2018 02:23 - 18 Aug 2018 02:24 #116230 by dgarrett
Replied by dgarrett on topic gcode scrolling in axis
Attached is a patch for test (git master branch)

File Attachment:

File Name: release_se...ne.patch
File Size:1 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Aug 2018 02:24 by dgarrett.

More
18 Aug 2018 10:30 #116240 by gmouer

Attached is a patch for test (git master branch)

File Attachment:

File Name: release_se...ne.patch
File Size:1 KB

It never ceases to amaze me the pride and responsiveness put into the slightest issues with linuxcnc. I hope you coders realize just how much we appreciate your dedication ! It does not get any better !

Unfortunately, I cannot test the patch at this time, I am not running master. I used to run master but posters here on the forum used to keep saying not to run master unless there is a specific reason to do so.

Hopefully someone will test the patch and report back. (not that I have any doubts the issue is fixed). If I don't see any confirmation, I will have to hunt around for a spare computer to load master up on and test it.

Thanks so much !
George

More
21 Aug 2018 15:39 #116401 by BigJohnT
With your very good and detailed instructions I can also reproduce the behavior in 2.7 so it's been a bug for a long time.

JT

More
21 Aug 2018 15:44 #116402 by gmouer
Not sure I would call it a bug but its a pain at times for many users. I have not been able to test the fix (not running master) so I don't know the keystrokes to regain scrolling. Whatever they are it should get added into the docs.

Thanks !
George

More
21 Aug 2018 15:49 - 21 Aug 2018 15:52 #116403 by BigJohnT
It's a program change not a keystroke. I find it unusual to left click the G code window while a program is running but it is a bug. IMHO the mouse clicks should be blocked when the G code is running.

Edit: I submitted a issue

JT
Last edit: 21 Aug 2018 15:52 by BigJohnT.

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds