Axis in parallel to external MDI comands --> Goal TCP/IP commands

More
21 Jan 2019 20:59 #124566 by ChrisSchwFn
Hello CNC folks,

I am new to the topic of linuxcnc and I have a few questions to the pros of you. My goal is to get the complete control of my milling machine with an external computer over TCP IP commands. To achive this a startet a simple python programm by using the linuxcnc library. It was no problem form me to read out all the information from the machine, except setting something with the mdi methode.
I googled a lot and tryed out several approaches to execute a simple command, but without any succes. Here is what i did:
  • I started the axis gui and init the machne. I run a python script to execute mdi commands --> no success
  • - made all suggested checkings (no estop & enabled & homed and (s.interp_state == linuxcnc.INTERP_IDLE)
    - Mode was read as MDI
    - mdi command seems do be send, but not been executed
    - my script had write and execution permission --> no success
    - Q: does the axis gui block external mdi commands such as a python programm or MDI?(in bash)?
    - I have the feeling something is blocking my commands
  • I tryed out the same python script, without axis --> no success, becaus I was not able tho change the Mode
  • Do i have to configre something to allow the external access to the machine?
  • - I read about an channel somewhere deep in the configuration to allow the access from python, is that true?
    - If yes, may somemone help me out, where to do the config and how?
  • Is there a better way to send tcp/ip command to the axis gui, by writing my own little broker server and parsing in commands and using the mdi methode?

I appreciate any advice from you Folks,

Best regards,
Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2019 14:13 #124614 by pl7i92
Hi you can use Either MESA Stuff like 7i92 or 7i80 7i76e/D
or a ethercat

you can provide standard TCP to the Hal module

HAL needs to be in as it is realtime

you coudt also use limit3 as a driver for the mashine and a python component to translate the TCP
BUT this is not a real mashine setup and the e-stop might break your mashine bevor you get notice

More
22 Jan 2019 16:02 #124622 by andypugh

I am new to the topic of linuxcnc and I have a few questions to the pros of you. My goal is to get the complete control of my milling machine with an external computer over TCP IP commands.

When you say "linuxcnc library" do you mean:

linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/man/man1/linuxcncrsh.1.html

More
29 Jan 2019 09:11 #125146 by ChrisSchwFn
i used the lib "linuxcnc" with python so far.
But linuxcncrsh seems good. I will give this a try and let you know my progress. Thanks for the hint.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds