MDI and gcode directions are reversed

More
13 Mar 2019 21:33 #128543 by norbertfarquharsh
Newly converted to 2.8. When the machine is homed and I try a program it apparently sends the X axis (at least) in the wrong direction.
The Axis display also seems to show the X and Y going in the wrong direction when jogged with MDI commands.
I have a one line program that I tried and include a screen shot of the Axis window showing the program and the errors when it tries to move the X axis.
I would appreciate any help or suggestions.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2019 22:23 #128546 by Leon82
It looks like all your axis direction pins are inverted. We're they that way originally?

If you upgraded to 2.8 what does the old back up Hal file say
The following user(s) said Thank You: norbertfarquharsh

More
15 Mar 2019 08:03 #128644 by pl7i92
it is BEST known BEHAVIER
if the MASHINE is setup in first place
to CHAND the Wirering of the STEPPER to non inverting AXIS travel
yu can find you in futher time with real trouble
so change the PAIRS in itself and reconfigure

CHANGING STEPPER DIR CHANFE CABLe form to
OLD A+ A- B+ B-
NEW A- A+ B- B+

More
15 Mar 2019 16:51 #128669 by norbertfarquharsh
Thank you very much for your reply. In answer to your question about the way things were originally, the machine has been running for several years just fine. It is a gantry machine with two motors driving in common the Y axis.
Suddenly on that axis the motors stopped working together. I could not figure it out and posted that problem and was informed that I needed to convert to 2.8 load. So I did that and then could not even get the machine to home. So I worked on that for quite a while and it homes sometimes. Other times there are strange errors pointing to the axis heading the wrong way.
When I first set the machine up, I had trouble with Stepconf and had to finally get help with that and edited the .ini and .hal files and it worked until the problem with the Y axis.
Just a few days ago it occurred to me that maybe Stepconf had been improved and tried that, but that made things worse. When I ran it, I created a whole new machine name to not write over the old files.
I looked at the files in gantryorig and thought I has set them the same way. At least, the .ini. It occurs to me that i dad not check the .hal and I will try there.
Thanks again.

More
15 Mar 2019 16:54 #128670 by norbertfarquharsh
Thank you for your reply. I have had the same suggestion and thank you for that. But the machine had been working fine for years and then something went wrong and a 2.8 upgrade was suggested and when I did that, the machine really went wrong. I am going to look back at the old .ini. and .hal files to see if U can find something there that has been changed in the upgrade.
Thanks again.

More
15 Mar 2019 20:16 #128682 by norbertfarquharsh
Thanks once more for the suggestions on my problem. I edited the .ini file to match the original (before 2.8). Now I have a problem in that I cannot ever home the X axis so I cannot try any programs. The other two axes home with no problem.
I have tried all sorts of different numbers in the .ini for the X minimum limit and the error continues to be "Exceeded NEGATIVE soft limit (0.01000) on joint 0". I admit that I cannot even figure out where it is finding this minimum limit as I change the value and the error does not change.
I still can move the the axes with the manual control on the Axis panel so I tried an MDI command to move the Y axis and the result surprised me so much that I tried the Z axis (with the same result) and took a screen shot of that and will attach it along with the .ini file as it is now.
Again, I will welcome any suggestions.
Attachments:

More
15 Mar 2019 20:25 #128685 by tommylight
Several issues:
X axis has a ferror of 0.01 while all other axis have 0.05
Z axis is the last to home as set by number 2 in the homing sequence, set that to 0 so it is the first to home always. The reason for that is that if the Z axis was down cutting when you press home it will start moving and break the tool on the way home.
Why are you soft limits set at 0.01 ? That is to small value, you can set it to 1 or more, it makes no difference if all your limit and home switches are at the negative side of travel.

More
16 Mar 2019 13:16 #128733 by norbertfarquharsh
Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate your suggestion on homing, too, as that is a good idea, but I adjusted the limits as you suggested and it homes just fine.
I ran a program and everything on direction works now, too.

More
16 Mar 2019 16:25 #128750 by tommylight
Glad you got it working.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds