Everything is half scale...

More
12 Sep 2021 13:45 - 13 Sep 2021 20:24 #220309 by Twizzlermill
Hello, 

I guess this isn't exactly an Axis problem, but the problem doesn't seem to be present during configuration. 

Every axis is half its scale. If I move 100mm, the physical machine moves 50 (while Axis shows 100).

​​​​​Why I'm posting it here and not in the PncConf Wizard section (which I use for configuration) is because when I test the axis during configuration, they move the right distance. I also checked whether the microsteps correspond with the steppers (they do). 

I'm currently on mobile, so I can't upload .ini and .hal files right now, but will do so later, if it helps. 

TIA

TL;DR for solving the issue: Doubled the amount of microsteps per axis.

Last edit: 13 Sep 2021 20:24 by Twizzlermill. Reason: Solved

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2021 14:44 #220321 by tommylight
Set the scale in PncConf to twice and test again, see if it moves the right amount.
Might be an issue with PncConf or might be drives if they have "microstep morphing" or something similar used by Gecko drives and some others.
The following user(s) said Thank You: uur.ersan, Twizzlermill

More
12 Sep 2021 15:51 #220334 by Twizzlermill
Hello,

thanks for the answer. I've been looking for a way to change the scale, but it seems I missed it. Can you tell me where it is exactly?

More
12 Sep 2021 18:48 #220352 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic Everything is half scale...
The scale would be set in setup screen for the axis motor.

If you like youu can post your .ini file from your config folder as it might be easier to just edit the scale there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Twizzlermill

More
12 Sep 2021 19:01 #220358 by tommylight
Already replied by Aciera, sorry was finally eating...

More
13 Sep 2021 12:03 #220427 by Twizzlermill
Thanks guys. 

So, to be clear, what I basically do is double the amount of microsteps, right? That seems to work, although now I need to scale down the amount of microsteps on the drivers to get the speed I want, because LinuxCNC is complaining that the maximum velocity is too big for the step timing.

But hey, I'm getting there! Seeing the router move on its own for the first time was a glorious moment for sure. 

Now off to learning CAM... 
​​​
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
13 Sep 2021 12:28 #220431 by tommylight

But hey, I'm getting there! Seeing the router move on its own for the first time was a glorious moment for sure. 
​​​

That is the moment you forget all the trouble of getting there ! :)

More
13 Sep 2021 20:22 #220500 by Twizzlermill
Oh, indeed, although there's always yet another thing to care about.

I haven't gotten around to building the dust collection system and there's no way I can run this thing productively without one.

Also, I need to learn how to generate gcode, I've already seen you put up a video about The Freecad path workbench, which is great because I'm a little familiar with Freecad (and want to keep it opensource software only, if possible).

I also need to properly link up my driver alarms, especially since I'm running two motors in tandem. That should probably the very next thing on my list.

...and properly connecting my z-probe, although I can manage without it for a while.

More
13 Sep 2021 22:08 #220517 by tommylight
There are some free CAM software out there, PyCAM, BlenderCAM, FreeCAD, are for 3D stuff and they do work but never had the time to test them properly. Last several days been doing some FreeCAD design for Z axis of some CNC plasma cutters i am building, not that painful (except on the eyes) since it's been over 20 years that i did nothing 3D.
For 2D and 2.5D Inkscape is very good, i use it for plasma very often, it outputs gcode directly and is done in Python so i usually edit the post processing to suit my needs.

More
13 Sep 2021 22:51 #220522 by Twizzlermill
...wait, there's a BlenderCAM out there? This just might be it, Blender is the program I use for pretty much everything! I gotta take a look at this.

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds