Axis locks up when starting

More
24 Oct 2010 22:34 #4822 by kb8wmc
I am having problems with Axis locking up computer on startup...Computer is Optiplex GX240, Ati Rage 128 video card...None of the other applications (TKEMC, Mini, Xemc, etc.) lock up the system when starting. I have used the gui to startup Axis as well as command line, also attempted "emc>error.log"...The error log contains only 4 lines, as when Axis locked up, error reporting also ceased...running "dmesg" and "dmesg -c" were not of any help either...I have examined the sim axis.ini file and from all I can determine, all is as it should be...I am running version 2.4.5 of EMC2 and Ubuntu 10.04...

Thank you in advance for any help and input...

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2010 09:42 #4826 by andypugh
I think that Axis uses OpenGL, and the others don't. Certainly I can use the other GUIs in an SSH session from a remote PC whereas Axis fails with an X-windows error. (I mention this only as an indication that there is something funny about Axis and Touchy). I would expect you to see similar problems with Touchy as the GUI?

There was someone on IRC the other night struggling with a Rage128. Was that you? I think it was suggested that he try switching to the VESA driver, but if that was you and you already tried that, then I am out of ideas.

Also, I am not entirely sure how to change to the VESA driver. With Ubuntu 10 (Lucid) there isn't an xorg.conf file to edit, and you need to do something like what is suggested here te create one:
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1428788

More
25 Oct 2010 17:11 #4844 by kb8wmc
Andy,

Yes that was me in the IRC requesting information on what I thought might be the problem...

I followed the directions in the link you posted, but likewise I am uncertain as to how to invoke the VESA driver from that point forward...

I have reviewed all the log files that I believe are applicable without finding anything out of place...All seems to be in working order, yet still unable to invoke Axis without the computer locking up, leaving only the mouse functioning...The mouse cursor does change to a black circle when it locks up...I am stumped at this point...

Thanks for your reply...

Mike

More
25 Oct 2010 21:45 #4861 by kb8wmc
Problem is solved with the excellent guidance from three of the IRC folks in EMC...

Here is what I did that solved the Axis lockup of entire computer when starting Axis:

I used synaptic to download and install "libgl1-mesa-swx11"

This removed some existing packages as well as "ubuntu-desktop", I was dubious about removing the ubuntu-desktop meta-package, but all went well after some coaching and explanation by the IRC folks...

End Result: Axis fully operational after tweaking the ini file (z-axis limits), no lockups when Axis starts...

I don't know how to mark this thread as Solved but it is solved...

Thanks again to the folks in IRC for all your help...

Mike

More
26 Oct 2010 13:24 #4875 by andypugh
kb8wmc wrote:

Problem is solved with the excellent guidance from three of the IRC folks in EMC...
I used synaptic to download and install "libgl1-mesa-swx11"

Now described in a little more detail as section 4.2 here
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?TroubleShooting

More
09 Nov 2010 18:27 #5184 by rj_pete
Just a note to say that this worked for me as well with the 'mga' driver. So add my thanks to all who contributed to this solution!

Ray

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds