Adding Tabs next to Preview/DRO without Glade

More
26 Mar 2013 09:13 #31889 by beltramidave
I want to add some tabs next to the Preview/DRO tabs...but I don't think I want to use Glade. Is this possible?

I would like to add a bunch of buttons tied to MDI commands to run simple positioning programs. I also need to be able to have the ability to edit and add files easily, preferably by just editing a couple of coordinates in a subroutine or .ngc file. I have figured out how to do this using the pyvcp panel on the right side, but I need more real estate for all the buttons I need. I would also like the ability to have multiple tabs.

I know tabs can be done in Glade, and I would not be against using Glade, if I can figure out how to edit and add buttons easily....at the machine. I really don't need the Preview and DRO tabs, so I am trying to use the available area. Hopefully I haven't missed something obvious in the documentation and examples.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2013 11:24 #31895 by cmorley
tabs are available in pyVCP.:
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.5/html/hal/pyvcp.html#_containers

Adding pyvcp panels to the DRO tab area is not supported out of the box. You may be able to add the support using a .axisrc extension but finding someone to figure that out for you may be difficult.

How are you managing to add pyVCP buttons 'at the machine' - I don't think i'm fully understanding you.

Chris M

More
26 Mar 2013 16:54 #31899 by beltramidave
Chris,

That is what I was afraid of. As I stated, I really don't need the Preview tab as all I am doing is an XY positioining move on a table. It appears that you can only go so big on the side mounted pyvcp panel, so I was hoping to use the area that the Preview tab has available to it. If I should choose to go the Glade route, how can I change the default tab view to 'my tab' instead of Preview? Also, how can I change the default view in the Preview tab to 'z' instead of 'p'?

What I meant by adding buttons 'at the machine', I meant now I can use copy and paste in my custom.xml file to create buttons and change text along with creating my subroutine file and adding to the .hal file. I am sure that there is some really neat ways of doing this, but not being a programmer, this is what I came up with. This machine is going to be used along with a touch panel in a small production enviroment, so I need to be able to add/change buttons as needed.

I may have to go with adding tabs on the right side. Thanks for your help!

More
26 Mar 2013 20:04 #31910 by andypugh

CIt appears that you can only go so big on the side mounted pyvcp panel

Would a free-floating PyVCP panel be better?
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.5/html/hal/pyvcp.html#_stand_alone
You can even omit Axis and the motion controller if you want. For some applications the Limit3 HAL module is all the motion controller you need.

More
26 Mar 2013 20:25 #31915 by beltramidave
Where can I learn more about the Limit 3 Hal module? Not sure that I understand how I would get my motion control without Axis.

More
More
26 Mar 2013 20:51 #31919 by beltramidave
Thanks John, I think I will stay with the method I have as that did not make any sense to me. I am finally starting to figure out some of this programming and not sure that I want to take the time right now to start over.

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds